No announcement yet.

brakes upgrade advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you scare easily, why dont we swap engines!!

Only kidding, my drive to work is about 8 miles with a 5 mile section of dual carriage way, the brakes cool down on here unless i use them a bit to keep the heat in them.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Thank god for that so do mine. It was hell of a noise and it worried me the first time as i was doing about 145mph!!!:eek2: :eek2:

Now you have put my mind at rest cheers m8
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

145 :eek2: I don't think I've ever had may car up to that speed.

OK go on I walked into that :wacked: grandad, slippers avant blah, blah, blah
        Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I know its daft and i shouldn't do it. But when the dual is clear as far as you can see, it seems silly not to try it out. If we travel over to see 'Marco im going via Germany just to try a top speed run. Ive seen 165mph on the clock. And i backed off, it had more to go. Just ran out of road and ********!!!
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Got to admit that that is impressive for a 'standard looking' early S2 - stealth at its best.

I bet there are some people out there who get really pissed off when you go past at a great speed.

I annoyed a guy in a brand new M3 the other day. I'm not saying my car is quicker but you could tell he couldn't work out why the 'old audi estate' has got round the roundabout faster than him and that he wasn't catching me up that quickly

Got to a straigt bit of DC and he proved how cool he was by going past as fast as he could

All good fun.............

Comment

It was a one off, it scared the crap out of me, thinking about the poss. of a tyre blowing out!!! Could be nasty.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Weird isn't it... the top speed of these things... I don't know how accurate the speedo is on my Avant?? but I've seen the other side of 150 on my clock on an Autobahn. The mirrors were almost folded flat back against the car!

That's why the RS2 got those nice swoopy aero dynamic mirrors I reckon!

You were scared Tom??? I would not of believed that unless you wrote it! If your number is up, its up... why worry, as long as you don't put any other road user in danger and hurt them.

Scary is 160 on a motorbike :eek2: I've only done it once and I'll never do it again, ever.... you cannot believe how hard your head gets battered on a bike at that speed. You need to give your eyes a couple of minutes to stop rolling about your head when you come down from that speed.
                Martyn
                -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Yes - the grooves contribute to that sound. I don't have the HiSpec kit of course, but my old CQs had groovy discs (from G-Force which I loved) and they sounded errr 'groovy' mate.

Also - you don't NEED the SS brake lines of course. I wouldn't bother just changing two hoses anyway as the benefits are reduced unless ALL hoses are upgraded.

I will be approaching HiSpec about another brake conversion - this time for the rear - details TBA - I won't waste time talking about details here until I know it works and all donor parts can be quoted as 100% tried and tested.

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

When I was at Hispec they were talking about the development of a rear caliper with independent hadbrake mechanism built it.

Comment

the grooves must be the reason for the noise.

I only get a low rumble when braking from high speed and that just sounds like EBC pad noise which always sound (to me anyway) like they are crumbling away to nothing
                      Jim

Comment

Front brakes

As usuall its economy that will set your gizmos'... While I had my S2 I had it fitted with the AP 330mm-kit and that sure made wonders with the brakes! I never had any issues at all with brakes during my visits at the track, actually rear brakes was running warmer than front. Here's link to the front assembly
                        AP 330mm-kit

However if I today would have to buy new front brakes for a S2 i would use A8 discs and Porsche 968 callipers with a custom adapter.
                        www.irry.com

Comment

Nice people there though
                          Yeah till summin goes wrong!

Comment

tacq

I've got that 330mm kit and got them to fade/smoke at Knockhill - although it is very hard on the brakes. What pads did you run?

Doug
                            S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

you get that deep huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmm noise with cross drilled discs too....sounds like a touring or GT car

David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X