This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY :conversaton UFO to HP2

well i decide to show you how to replace stuppid, old, unuseful , expensive UFO brakes with HP2 brakes..

HP2 brakes you can find on audi a8 or late s4 or s6.

this is conversation for audi 200 20v , early s4 and audi v8. this brakes are 314mm disc , which is 10mm bigger than UFO-s , HP2 are much chipper than UFO-s , and have much better brake ability .

well here is procedure , how to replace :
    1. you have to find HP2 brakes , if you will use some old one , from A8 , look that disc be wider than 27mm .

so when you move your old UFO-s away , you will see this:

than you must cut off this upper whole , just like picture said

than is good if you can bring all 4 wheels in the air that you can resize wheel hub .
    wheel hub are wider on cars which have UFO-s (I still don't know why?)

start the engine and put it in 4. gear , hubs will start to spining and you can start with job..
    REMEMBER: don't pres that tool (I don't know how it calls) too much , because if you will hurry up ,you can have problem latter with NO perfect circle hub..
    be gentle ...
    here is the picture:

when you can put HP2 disc on it , and put all 5 bolt in wholle , this part of job is over..

next step is to go in MACHINE SHOP.. and do this on brake holder:

every machine shop can do this for you , it is easy job for them.. (don't pay too much )
    they must cut it -4mm .
    closley look the picture and don't drill it on wrong place..

so now you can put disc and brake holder at place..

but there is one more problem the bolt of HP2 brakes are a little bit wider than you have a whole on your car.

so my advice is to use 4 old wheel bolt , because they are the same size like you will need. or if you have OEM HP2 bolt it will be much better.

so you need to resize half of bolt on smaller size (like the whole is) .
    well half of bolt must hold HP2 at place and half of bolt must go in whole on your car..

DON'T resize the whole on the car on bigger whole, because it will not be good. my smart friend done it and it was not good..

I don't have picture of rebuilt bolt , but maybe this picture will help you:

messure how much bolt come out when they are in brake holder, and resize that part of bolt on dimension of whole.
    do you understand?
    my english are not so good , but I will try to help you how I can...

so now when you finish wit that , you can put HP2 brakes on your car without any problems..

well but there is one more problem-BRAKE OIL PIPE

for HP2 BRAKES it must be few centimeters longer. you can do it somewere , or if you have luck use it from old HP2 car..

and it look like this:

of course without RIAL wheels

"listen to me very careful ... I should say this only ones..... " you can only use 15" wheels from audi s4 which have OEM HP2 brakes..
    all other 15" wheels are too small, you must use 16" or bigger..

I done that job many times .. and for now it is all perfect...
    on my car that brakes are few years .

I hope that help somebody in his brake UFO problem..

if you have any question - ASK...

good luck..

Regards

Igor

Good write up
    Shane

Comment

Nice info.
      Im sure this will come in useful for some..
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Thanks for the info Igor. I love your resizing of the wheel hub with a 9" grinder whilst the car is running in 4th gear!!! What a fantastic idea.

Comment

no needed to resize, especially in this way, just take hub from Audi V8 rear and that's it !

Comment

Originally posted by rs200 View Post
            but there is one more problem the bolt of HP2 brakes are a little bit wider than you have a whole on your car.

so my advice is to use 4 old wheel bolt , because they are the same size like you will need. or if you have OEM HP2 bolt it will be much better.

so you need to resize half of bolt on smaller size (like the whole is) .
            well half of bolt must hold HP2 at place and half of bolt must go in whole on your car..

DON'T resize the whole on the car on bigger whole, because it will not be good. my smart friend done it and it was not good..

Igor
            .... and forgot about this- just get the proper size bushing and use M12 bolts, it is more easier and better instead of machining bolts

Comment

don't take out the hub , because than you have tu change wheel bearing. of course if you have bad bearing than replace it with new , and resize hub in machine shop.
              V8 rear hub left/right are not the same. they have different offset.

Comment

Brake Caliper Bushing & Bolt

Originally posted by gedis View Post
                .... and forgot about this- just get the proper size bushing and use M12 bolts, it is more easier and better instead of machining bolts
                Like these.
                http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...41e201a19d3e4a
                "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

sorry for stupid question (i'm rookie in all S thing) what includes HP brakes? disks, calipers and pads, am i right? i want to get rid off my UFO's

Comment

Do standard hp2 brake pipe flexis fit straight on UFO cars?
                    I ve full hp2 set ready to fit with struts but pipes been cut!

Comment

Originally posted by rs200 View Post
                      this brakes are 314mm disc , which is 10mm bigger than UFO-s ,
                      UFO disc is 310mm (not 304mm) which is 4mm less than HP2
                      Audi URquattro 4.2l, Dodge Charger 7.3l, Golf 4 TDI 4Motion

Comment

whatever .. they are bigger , cheaper and much better !

Comment

Off course, and looks very nice compared to UFO
                          Audi URquattro 4.2l, Dodge Charger 7.3l, Golf 4 TDI 4Motion

Comment

you don't have problems with beating discs?

Comment

Originally posted by bolec View Post
                              you don't have problems with beating discs?
                              If your hubs have been modified like he did then you might have some trouble aligning the discs - especially if your discs are new. What you can do is to make two steel rings that fits on the narrow aligning ridge on the hub. The side facing out towards the disc must be machined to match the 45 deg. angle at the inside of the discs as well as the depth of the chamfer. The steel rings might need some fine tuning with a file to make them fit perfect in between hubs and discs..
                              1993 AAN UrS4 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X