Vacuum Brake Servo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    Just found this pic in his build thread, looks tight!
    Thats loads of room by Audi standards
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

There is an A/C pipe runs in that area to the drier in the right hand wheel arch. If the servo is going to foul anything it WILL be that.
      sigpic
      "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
      BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
      1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
      2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

yup we had a chat about that at ADI, I think that's the only bit that will need to be majorly modified i think
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Just use the AC pipe off the car where the servo came from?
          ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
            Just found this pic in his build thread, looks tight!

Is this an earlier S2? I just had a look at the size of my vacuum servo on the B4 and it looks like it won't fit as my S2 has braces welded from the strut tower to the firewall on my S2 which are right in the way of where the servo will sit

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Originally posted by Pat D View Post
              Is this an earlier S2? I just had a look at the size of my vacuum servo on the B4 and it looks like it won't fit as my S2 has braces welded from the strut tower to the firewall on my S2 which are right in the way of where the servo will sit
              This car wasn't an S2, it was a coupe quattro with an ABY engine conversion, so the S2 strut brace will need modification.
              sigpic
              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I have few questions in regards to the brake bomb and high pressure lines, hopefully someone might know the answers.

1. Is the high pressure line from the PAS pump to the steering rack a different pressure to the one going to the bomb? Hence two separate pump outputs?

2. Can the bomb be deleted all together if there is no need for assist in the event of the engine not running and just run the high pressure line direct to the master cylinder?

Reason I ask is that I would like to use an electric PAS pump without Vacuum servo brake assist, since the electric pump can run with the engine off there is no need for accumulated assist.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Hey Pat:

An electric PAS pump won't offer you brake assist aswell. You would still need to retain the dual stage PAS pump, making the electric PAS pump kinda pointless. That is why people switch to electric PAS pump and vacuum servo at the same time. Or just vacuum servo and use a single stage hydro PAS pump as per the factory setup

The bomb works off the front section of the dual pump, using pistons driven by an elliptical collar, which AFAIK is higher pressure but I assume much lower flow than the steering side (the brake assist consumes very little fluid by volume compared to the rack)
                  The steering circuit is about [100bar].

As well as an accumulator, the bomb acts as a pressure damper for the servo, without the bomb i think you would need to use something to smooth the pump output, otherwise you will feel the pump through the brake pedal and it wont be very pleasant (feels like the ABS is on continually)

So I would just cut that strut bracket and make your life easier

HTH & Merry Christmas
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I have few questions in regards to the brake bomb and high pressure lines, hopefully someone might know the answers.

1. Is the high pressure line from the PAS pump to the steering rack a different pressure to the one going to the bomb? Hence two separate pump outputs?

2. Can the bomb be deleted all together if there is no need for assist in the event of the engine not running and just run the high pressure line direct to the master cylinder?

Reason I ask is that I would like to use an electric PAS pump without Vacuum servo brake assist, since the electric pump can run with the engine off there is no need for accumulated assist.
                    Yes they are two different pressures, the PAS line is much lower pressure.

No, you cant run the pump line straight to the servo, a couple of quick taps of the brake and you would have less pressure as the pump is not be able to keep up, that's why you have an accumulator, it's not just in case the engine stalls or the belt snaps.
                    You will find that even cars that use electric pumps have an accumulator, usually as part of the pump assembly, I looked at fitting one once, I think it was off a jag.

Comment

like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJ6...item2a27474a48

Comment

So I would just cut that strut bracket and make your life easier
                        Haha, that's what i was trying to avoid

I'm wondering how much support that strut bracket provides and if it's worth fabricating another one around the vacuum servo.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Originally posted by driftin jo View Post
                          That looks like another idea, I guess I could use one of them as well for the brakes

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Haha, that's what i was trying to avoid

I'm wondering how much support that strut bracket provides and if it's worth fabricating another one around the vacuum servo.
                            Not a massive amount, its just a pressed piece of sheet, i bet you could bend it in your hands with it off the car
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That's what I'm going to do, if you ask Vas I'm sure he'll post up a pic of his which has a curve in it to go around the vacuum servo.

Edit : You can see it in this post here, LHD, but you get the idea.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=482
                              Last edited by AndyP; 24 December 2012, 12:05.
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Great, well I'll stick with the original plan and use an electric PAS pump and vacuum brakes. I'll cut the strut bracket out tomorrow.

I just removed the vacuum servo from my B4 and emptied out a good half litre of brake fluid, so I filled it up with degreaser and then hosed it out. Should hopefully still be ok.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Working...
                                X