Possible rear vented rotor setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible rear vented rotor setups

I started a new thread for this. Thought the other was getting a little long in the tooth.

Below you will see two possible ideas for rear vented rotors. I tried a couple of different calipers and rotors, basically running with ideas I got from other original thinkers on this forum.

These are a couple of different combinations using two different rotors, two different calipers, both off the same carrier. The rotors are both 280X22mm. The g60 rotor weighs 11lbs and the New Beetle weighs 13 lbs.

These are the two rotors I used. CorradoG60 and a New Beetle. For the peoples in the old countries, all the G60 rotors should be the same as the Corrado. This was the only G60 imported to the states. The New Beetle rotor is the same as the A3, which we haven't gotten either.

Both rotors have had the center bore increased from 65mm to 68mm. The G60 rotor was redrilled from 4X100 to 5X112. The NewBeetle/A3 was slotted from 5X100 to 5X112.

I used the Corrado for the setup pictures. This is the aluminum A8 caliper on an S8 Carrier. This allows for the 280X22 vs the 269X22 on the normal A8. This caliper weighs slightly over 3lbs.

I got this idea from Stick Insect(David). He mentioned using an easier to find caliper than the A8. I happened to have an S6 Rear caliper lying around, and fit it up to the S8 carrier. It fits just like the A8. It may be easier to use the parking brake cable on the this caliper as it is in the same place as the coupe rear. The A8 caliper has the parking brake mechanism in a slightly different location, but it stills pulls from the side and not the front. The S6 caliper weighs in at 6 lbs, but is definitely more available from a wrecker than the A8 caliper

This is the G60 rotor with just the S8 carrier.

As you can see from this picture, the G60 rotor comes a little close to the inboard edge of the carrier. It was even closer before I took the next step.

I took a look at the carrier and noticed that they had excess material on the inboard edge from the bolt on area. The least amount of excess material was 1.5mm. So I had an additional 1.3mm milled off each of the carriers. This allowed breathing room for the G60 rotor.

This picture shows the gap between the S8 carrier and the bolted up A3/New Beetle rotor. It is more centered, but as others did on this forum, you need to use 2mm spacers when bolting up the S8 brake carrier to the rear hub carrier. This moves the carrier outboard.

Now the brake carrier is bolted to the outside of the hub carrier, and not the inside like the coupe. Luckily for us the brake carrier is machined on both side of the mounting holes, just as the hub carrier is.

I am going to use the G60 rotor with the A8 carrier, and when they wear out, I will use the New Beetle rotor.

Remember, whether you end up using the A8 caliper or the S6 caliper, they are used on the opposite side of the car, from where they were normally used. The right caliper goes on the left side of the Coupe and the left caliper goes on the right side of the coupe.

Greg
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Nice work
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Looks pretty good, nice explanation. I need to get some decent front brakes sorted first!

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Nice clear photos Greg, Keep up the good work. I'm still looking at suitable disks. I will report if I find anything!

David

Comment

I changed the disks on a friend's A4 (B5) 1.8 a while ago. The front disks are also 280x22 - the advantage being that the disk has the right PCD and centre bore for our cars. I had a look at the ATE catalogue and it says that the disk height of the 3 disks are: Corrado 28.5mm, Beetle 36.6mm and A4 1.8 46.5.

Would it be possible to use the A4 disks - you might have to space the carrier a bit more but you save on not having to machine the disks to get the PCD right?
          1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
          2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
          2006 Misano Red RS4
          2004 VW Touareg V8
          2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
          2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Originally posted by GandalfS6
            I changed the disks on a friend's A4 (B5) 1.8 a while ago. The front disks are also 280x22 - the advantage being that the disk has the right PCD and centre bore for our cars. I had a look at the ATE catalogue and it says that the disk height of the 3 disks are: Corrado 28.5mm, Beetle 36.6mm and A4 1.8 46.5.

Would it be possible to use the A4 disks - you might have to space the carrier a bit more but you save on not having to machine the disks to get the PCD right?
            One - you are looking regular Corrado rotor. The G60 has a hat size of 39mm. If you look at the pictures you will see that the caliper carrier is bolted to the outside of the hub carrier mount, not the inside. Now if you went with the 46.2 mm A4 it moves the rotor toward the hub carrier. This means you would have to move the caliper carrier to the inside of the hub mount for the caliper.

The carrier mount on the hub is 37 mm thick. For the caliper to now work, you would need rotor, 39+37=76, with a hat size of 76mm. Now considering that an UrS5/6 has a rotor hat of only 56mm and I happen to have one, this rotor hits the strut when bolted up. 76 would not work.

Now there is a guy on one of the Audi forums, who used a 200 rear rotor, which is the same size as you B5 A4 at 46mm, but he had a 6mm spacer made to fit between the hub and the rotor. Of course, now his rotor does not seat against the hub, and everything is held on with bolts.

Understand why we are looking for a rotor with a hat size between 39mm and 36.6mm?

Greg
            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

You should consider checking the Mercedes Benz catalogue. They also use 5x112.

How about MB part 6384210112 - front disc from the V class.

Dimensions 276 x 22. Total height of 60mmm giving hat of 38mm. Centre bore is 67mm.
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Is there a calliper and carrier combination that will allow a 300x22mm disc to be used?

Ben
                the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes2
                  You should consider checking the Mercedes Benz catalogue. They also use 5x112.

How about MB part 6384210112 - front disc from the V class.

Dimensions 276 x 22. Total height of 60mmm giving hat of 38mm. Centre bore is 67mm.
                  Mike,
                  You need a total height of between 36.6mm and 39mm, not just the hat size.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X