Brake Brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Brackets

With Corey having seemingly disappeared from the face of the Earth (no reply to email, phone calls) I need my brake brackets modifying - the ones he made me don't quite fit the existing pads and don't fit the new ones at all. No one's fault - I had worn pads when he measured them up originally so that won't have helped.

So...

Do any machining gurus on here have any facilities to carve some aluminium from the brackets? I'm talking very small amounts - 2mm from the depth so the pads fit completely (to the edge) of the disk, and 5-6mm to allow me to use the £182 worth of pads that have stopped bits of paper fluttering about on my desk for the last few months (which don't fit on the inside of the wheel).

Thought it'd be worth a shot see if anyone wants to earn a bit of pocket money before I go round local machinists and they tell me 'Sure, in quantities of 10,000' before I show them 2 brackets and they laugh at me.

Determined to get the damn car finished this year, and have pretty much had summer off from sorting things out/spending money on it, so it's time to get my *** in gear.

Cheers

Paul
    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Hi!,
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Bit confused. Are you saying the pads overhang the discs or the pads aren't quite up to the edge? Also what needs to have another 5-6mm taken off? Is it that the caliper isn't central to the disc?
    Not sure what part of the country you are in but here's my advice. Avoid the glossy companies and find a small traditional engineer. I was impressed by someone who reputedly done r&d for an F1 company. Unfortunately he was a complete muppet who ******ed me about for 2 months without doing what he said he would. By word of mouth I found a "Precision Engineer" with a fully equiped workshop (no cnc). He does what I want, when I want and cheap to boot. What he lacks in the latest equipment he makes up for in experience.
    You obviously need someone to look at it again. Don't forget if you ask someone to take X amount off and it doesn't fit, that's going to be down to you. I guess your problems stem from transferring dimensions over from the original fitment (S4/S6) to the S2. Otherwise how could it be that far out?
    Good Luck!

Comment

Hiya - the pads overhang the edge of the disc by around 2mm. The new pads will go in so far, but stop leaving 5mm hanging over the edge of the disc. I tried with the small engineering firms when I need a spacer for the bigger turbo, but didn't have a lot of luck. *Shrug* glad to hear you found someone who comes up to scratch!

Cheers, Paul

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Paul,

Could be worth getting in touch with BG developments, been getting quotes from them to see how much it will cost to complete brake conversion on my car and they can manufacturer custom bells or carriers for £75 + Vat each.

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hi Guys from a firm in SA Got a quote for brakes

Further to our discussion earlier, below please find the pricing for the brake products for your Audi S2.

1(a). Praggia 6 Pot Calipers - R4993 incl. VAT for 2 1(b). Ali Mounting Brackets - R855 incl. VAT for 2 This can be used with your current disks.

2(a). 305x28mm Disks - R1983 incl. VAT for 2 2(b). Ali Carriers/Hubs - R1983 incl. VAT for 2

I have attached a pic of the Caliper mounted on a racing disk, as fitted by ourselves.

** Please note:

- The above pricing excludes fitment and/or engineering costs

- Pricing is subject to change without notice.

1. We don't normally quote on pads, as they are standards off the shelf items, but I can source for you.

2. The pads will be the same whether you upgrade the disk or not.

3. It is better to just upgrade the front and see how the braking performance is from there. We do have a 4 pot Midi solution for the rear, but this is sold mainly in conjunction with our 8 Pot midi's on the front (a nice balance).

4. The 305's work from 16" rims upward

Thank you for the enquiry. Please call me to arrange further.
          Approx 12 rand to pound
          James

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
            Hiya - the pads overhang the edge of the disc by around 2mm. The new pads will go in so far, but stop leaving 5mm hanging over the edge of the disc. I tried with the small engineering firms when I need a spacer for the bigger turbo, but didn't have a lot of luck. *Shrug* glad to hear you found someone who comes up to scratch!

Cheers, Paul
            Paul,
            That's pretty piss poor really. I can appreciate the difficulty in mocking things up, but as you paid for it, you really should have got a competent, if not professional job. If you had whittled the bracket yourself it might have been acceptable. Has it always been like that or have you only just noticed?
            I would have thought the mocking up would have included using the new pads you had and several trial fittings. It was mocked up on the car wasn't it?
            I'm assuming the pads are located correctly within the caliper. Bit strange that both sets of pads don't overhang by the same amount. Are you physically able to insert the pads and use whatever retains them?
            They are the same pads aren't they? Certain pads are available in different depths, especially AP stuff. Another possibility is that they are for a different caliper "Family" which may use a different way of locating the pads.
            Another point, most pads don't come right to the edge of the disc for some reason. Something to allow for in your calculations.
            In what way was the dimension out 5-6mm?

Comment

paul, i might be able to help you out, but if its just one face that needs x amount taking off, thats a 10 min job so there should be a local firm near you somewhere who can sort it, try looking for 'precision engineers' in the yellow pages,
              can you post any pics to show us what you mean?
              i take it they have been anodised and helicoiled?, if so how deep does the start of the helicoil sit below the caliper mounting face, because it might have to be removed which is a bit tricky

martin

Comment

Paul,
                I have just checked out AP's site. There are two 6 Pot caliper families; CP5555 & CP5570. Both use different pads.
                The CP5555 uses a pad with a friction material depth of 54mm and width of 17mm.
                The CP5570 uses a pad with a friction material depth of 50.8mm and width of 18mm.
                So one is deeper than the other by @3.2mm. Add this to your 2mm overhang and I make that 5mm. Does that make sense?
                The Cp5555 uses pads from the CP3894D54 family.
                The CP5570 uses pads from the CP5070D51 family.
                I guess you have got the wrong pads for your calipers. Check out AP's site to be sure.
                If you look under caliper selection; road; six piston; you will see the three variants. Click on the one you have and it will display all the info you need including the pad and its dimensions.
                Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
                  Do any machining gurus on here have any facilities to carve some aluminium from the brackets? I'm talking very small amounts - 2mm from the depth so the pads fit completely (to the edge) of the disk, and 5-6mm to allow me to use the £182 worth of pads that have stopped bits of paper fluttering about on my desk for the last few months (which don't fit on the inside of the wheel).
                  Hi Paul,

Steve from GPA Engineering www.gpaengineering.co.uk will be able to do it , you met him on the exhaust trip. He's the one who is making the plane in his garage. he will even guide you personally through doing it at his place it for a pint or three. If it is simple enough he could make new brackets and you still have the original. The only thing I am concerned about is if the alloy has been treated afterwards such as hard anodising. Machining will weaken it and also may cause problems with allowing corrosion to take hold.

01625-527062

HTH

David

Comment

Hi!,
                    Out of interest. Was I right about the pads or is there some other explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu
                      Hi!,
                      Out of interest. Was I right about the pads or is there some other explanation?
                      The pads I bought afterwards, so when originally measured it, it was for half worn pads, hence the 'no one's fault' - I didn't know exactly how much the pads were worn, and neither did Corey *shrug*

The brackets were still 2mm too deep tho - if 2mm is taken off the bracket depth the pad should fit all the way on the disc, rather than overhang... here is a highly technical drawing that I went to University for 10 years to do and studied for a further 30 years to perfect... (see attached)

Truly, there is no limit to my artistic talents.

With the new pads, the outer pad (kerb side) fits fine (2mm overhang still though), the inner (car side) pad sits 5-6mm out because of the lip on the inside of the bracket - that needs cutting in (2-3mm) and down (say, 6mm).

Another thing - the brackets have been anodised - no idea whether it's hard or soft, so I'm guessing that'll make some (more expensive) difference - I have never done anything cheap, unfortunately

Thx for the info/suggestions guys. I'll be away for a week from Tues but will be looking for a solution for this when I get back - this job is 2nd on my list after belts cause damn, my pads are crumbling away!
                      Cheers,

Paul
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by APNess; 19 September 2004, 23:03.

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Good picture! Is it big enough??
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Try that - ya cheeky young scamp.

'Wheel outline' should of course be 'disc outline' - I just put that in to see who was smart enough to pick up on it.

*cough*

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Oh thats better, thank you!
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Hi!,
                              Mmmm. You obviously have a very generous and trusting nature. After all this is a safety critical part of the car. Lets hope he has some public liability cover.
                              Whilst I can understand pads wearing down through use, i.e. in width, I can't see how they wear top to bottom. So the fact the pads were s/h shouldn't have been a factor. Basically you want the pads to sweep the disc leaving a small area at the top. Ap even publish the correct distance for the caliper mounting on their web site.
                              Also I can't see why the caliper bracket interferes with the fitment of the inboard pads. Surely the caliper itself has guides at the bottom to prevent the pads dropping out. The pads themselves must sit square in the caliper sandwiched between the bottom guides and the top retaining pins. So the only way the bracket can interfere is if it is protruding past the pad guide, into the caliper space and onto the bottom of the pad backing material. If this is the case then presumably you are unable to secure the top retention pins. So does the mounting bracket overlap the caliper at the bottom where it mounts to the bracket, i.e. its too wide?
                              Shame as you are going on holiday you can't leave it with someone to get it sorted. Be nice to come back to something that fits. Unfortunately, I guess the only way to do that is to take the strut/hub carrier off so that a precise mock up can be achieved. Unless you are confident that your measurements are spot on. Why not take up Martin's offer. Once they are fitted correctly you could always insist on having duplicates made to the correct dimensions and finish. Assuming the person who did them is interested in good customer relations and his reputation!

Comment

Working...
                              X