Rear brakes (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brakes (again)

I am gonna need to upgrade the rear brakes soon as the right hand caliper is binding as the lever arm is partially siezed. I could spend some time and unseize it, but i want an upgrade.

I know that Mark has those expensive calipers on the rear, but im sure that there was a cheaper alternative??? Also what discs will fit?? I have tried doing a search, but i got myself confused with all the different sizes LOL

Cheers for the help in advance.
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Originally posted by audiman
    I am gonna need to upgrade the rear brakes soon as the right hand caliper is binding as the lever arm is partially siezed. I could spend some time and unseize it, but i want an upgrade.

I know that Mark has those expensive calipers on the rear, but im sure that there was a cheaper alternative??? Also what discs will fit?? I have tried doing a search, but i got myself confused with all the different sizes LOL

I was looking in the rear wheel arch of an S4 outside the pub the other night, the vented rear disk seemed to have a very small hat height and was vented.

I am taking one of my calipers to a ford breakers and I beleieve that the Scorpio has a vented rear disk and a vented width Girling caliper, The Scorpio Cosworth estate has a 300MM vented rear disk ( larger than the front!) and it is 5 x 112 IIRC I think the hat height is too tall though.....

Can't win everytime.

Could be worse you could have a TR7 V8 which uses something like Marina calipers and puny disks..... saw one on the motorway, I could see his fuel gauge dropping as he drove past.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
      the vented rear disk seemed to have a very small hat height and was vented. David

Comment

Rear UrS6 saloon should fit fine along with its caliper carriers - I have a set here to work this wee project - hopefully over the winter.

From memory the discs required are for A3 or A4 at 280mm x 20mm which get spun down to 269mm to work with the carrier brackets.

Check with MarkH on disc types - I have an inkling its the 4-bolt A3 type as the hat-height is right - obviously machining is needed to get the 5x11x PCD.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
          I was looking in the rear wheel arch of an S4 outside the pub the other night, the vented rear disk seemed to have a very small hat height and was vented.

I am taking one of my calipers to a ford breakers and I beleieve that the Scorpio has a vented rear disk and a vented width Girling caliper, The Scorpio Cosworth estate has a 300MM vented rear disk ( larger than the front!) and it is 5 x 112 IIRC I think the hat height is too tall though.....

David
          Keep us posted on this one David !!!

Paul
          Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

When you say URS6 Paul, do you mean the Audi 100 shaped car?? From about 94-97??
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

When you say URS6 Paul, do you mean the Audi 100 shaped car?? From about 94-97??
              Probably but scorpio bits may be easier to find and probably a bit cheaper....

David

Comment

This shows a coupe of set ups?

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5021

I have mounted one of setups on the car now.

I am using the Corrado G60 rotor to begin with. It was used and figure I would use up the rest of it before going with the New Bettle rotor.

I used the UrS6 rear caliper with the S8(280X22) caliper carriers. This worked just fine with the existing e-brake. You are switching sides with the UrS6 calipers. The left goes on the right and vice versa. But you can tell, just put the bleeder valve on the top.

You do not have to turn down the rotors to use this set up. The other advantage is the splash shield. Just takes a little trimming around the carrier in order for them to fit.

Greg
                They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Ahhh good ploy Greg - using the UrS6 rear calipers but with A8/S8 carriers to clear the disc. Can you share part numbers on the carriers and discs ? I need to order this up and get it done over the winter. I will refurb the UrS6 rear calipers first of course... or exchange my old S2 ones for a shiny set of factory refurb'd UrS6 ones at the local motor factor - they will never notice !!!!!!!!!!! Then I'll have a spare set of rear calipers

Paul
                  Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                    Can you share part numbers on the carriers and discs ? I need to order this up and get it done over the winter.
                    Paul
                    Paul

The S8 carrier number is 4D0-615-425A.

But double check. A friend of mine ordered them and got the ones for the 269mm rotor. I think they left off the A when they ordered them. You can tell right away. Match them up to your UrS6 carriers and your will see that they are slightly taller.

The part numbers for the New Beetle rotor are:

1J0-615-301E
                    1J0-615-301M
                    1J0-615-301P

These are all the same rotor. They came on a whole load of VAG cars, Seats, Skoda, VW, and Audi. This is the rotor you need the 2mm spacer for. This rotor requires a little less machining than the Corrado rotors. Only center bore and slot the holes.

Greg
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

I had a quick look at a vented rear disk for a granada. It was 275mm and the total height of the disk was 42mm, forgot to measure thickness of the disk. These were Ford old stock and were £20, the calipers to suit were £30 each. I will make more enquiries about the Scorpio Cosworth Estate disks etc.

HTH

David

Comment

Cheers for this info Greg, I am very tempted to do this now Its hard work trying to work out what 'might' fit, but if you have bits lying around it makes it loads easier.
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                        X