Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS Sensors

I'm having no luck at the moment!

I'd only just got the suspension fixed when the radiator burst. Now its ABS!
    I was doing about 80 on my way home last night when I hit the brakes and the ABS warning light came on! :eek2:

I suspect I have a faulty sensor. I know where they are, but I can't get the dame things off!

Can someone tell me how to get at them!

Thanks in advance.
    ex '93 Avant owner

How do you know for sure its a wheel speed sensor - VAG-COM ?

Check all the contacts for cleanliness. VAG-COM or a 1551 printout will help greatly diagnose the fault further. It could be lots of things unrelated to speed sensors.

Anyway - the sensors are a bit of an **** to remove... They need to be carefully prised out of their socket on the hub carrier. Easier said than done as the inevitable rust causes grief - plus you need to watch the cable is damaged whilst teasing the fecker out. There is a little spacer/washer ring that should be replaced with the sensor.

On refitting the sensor, it must be not too far and not too close from the teeth on the outer CV joint in order to get a good signal.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'm not actually sure that it is a faulty sensor.

I remember reading something a long time ago about ABS warnings on VAG cars. I'm sure that it turned out to be a dirty sensor. I'm going to clean them first and then if that doesn't work, I'll replace one and swap it around until the fault disappears.

Hopefully that'll cure it.

Its not the end of the world as it is at the moment. It comes on when braking from a reasonably high speed, but around town or "sensible" driving is OK. Switching off and back on clears the warning.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

I have a wee problem on mine which i think is bomb related, when i stamp on the brakes quite hard, (moving or stood still) my brake warning comes on for a few seconds then goes off, it does my head in and all i can think of is that the bomb holds no pressure and the sudden pressure drop in the system is setting off an alarm. BUT :eek2: when i carry out the test for the bomb and switch the engine off and pump the brake i can get over 50 pumps of the pedal b4 it goes stiff. . BUT also if i leave the car for a few hours with a fully charged bomb it looses all of its pressure . So now i am blagged being a hydraulics engineer makes it quite embarrasingops: . So all i can think of is that either the bomb is leaking slowly(but why does the light come on when i stamp on the brakes) or there is a faulty check valve or relief valve in the system? Any help much appreciated
        Graham
        Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Graham,

Have you checked the brake fluid level? The only thing I can think of, is that your fluid is a little low and the warning is from the reservoir level sender and not the pressure sender...Just a thought..

Steve.
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Will do, bit of a puzzle this one coz i'm certain the level is ok
            Graham
            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Graham,

I think i get this sometimes but i put it down to the power steering fluid

The prob only happens when cold though, there is plenty of fluid, on startup the surge of fluid sets off the float sensor in resevior.
              You can make my car give you the same warning by pushing the little button on the top of the res.

Might not be this but could be, i was chasing round whole brake system till i realised the steering res. gave same warning on dash.

And if you want to top this fluid up VAG will only sell you a large tin which wasnt cheap if i remember:mad:
              Ragusa Coupe gone!
              sigpic
              VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
              VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
              vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

Working...
              X