Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Calipers Sticking Handbrake

Just found Mine sticking Yesterday so need to get a pair

I know this is a problem with Rear Calipers on Golfs too, on the Latest Mk4/A3 they are an improved design in Alloy that dont stick.....
    Is the Older Golf Mk3/Mk2 design the same as the problematic caliper we have ? and if so could these be substituted for the new Alloy caliper design ?
    Anyone looked at this before?
    Or can anyone with Etka or Dealer info confirm whether this might work ?

Cheers
    Dom

i think i have one sticking too in the left side... because i hear so much such sound while i am driving slow...

Comment

The cam on the rear caliper is probably siezed, remove the handbrake cable from the cam and work it back and forth with a rubber mallet, use plenty of WD40 and when you've finished smear some copper grease on the cam pin.

What happens is the rubber seal on the cam pin lets in water which rusts the rotating surfaces which makes the cam stick, the handbrake cam is separate from the caliper piston so you will still have use of the rear brakes just no handbrake.
      30v 80 Cabriolet - FOR SALE!

Comment

ahaa so i can repair it some how? if its like that then i will make for the a party when i will change the rear disks... what about ATE pads? is it good?

Comment

Originally posted by CR500Dom
          Just found Mine sticking Yesterday so need to get a pair

I know this is a problem with Rear Calipers on Golfs too, on the Latest Mk4/A3 they are an improved design in Alloy that dont stick.....
          Is the Older Golf Mk3/Mk2 design the same as the problematic caliper we have ? and if so could these be substituted for the new Alloy caliper design ?
          Anyone looked at this before?
          Or can anyone with Etka or Dealer info confirm whether this might work ?

Cheers
          Dom
          I have this on mine and have been without a handbrake for a couple of weeks. i need to get round to putting the new one on so i can get the deposit back!

The calliper is very similar to the golf mk2 but I think the audi has a slightly bigger piston compared to the golf. I don't whether they are compatible, but they do have the same carrier so will fit. My mate has a golf and that was sticking as well so no real bonus to swapping over apart from the fact it doesn't say Audi on it so is 30 quid cheaper

Comment

Phillio join the club. I too have been without a handbrake for couple of weeks - But finally getting it all sorted this friday. Both rear calipers and new handbrake cables!

Comment

Working...
            X