Helllllllllp !!! ABS Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helllllllllp !!! ABS Problem

Right, just picked up my 90Q from having a few bits done on it.
    Its had new F-Dampers, new S2 Springs (Front so far), blue top mounts, front Pads, NSF Cv joint outer boot.

Now both ABS Sensors came out ok apparently. and went back in no problem.

The worrying one is that one of the Struts needed a weld bead on it to get purchase to undo it.
    This was done with the welder earthed direct to the strut, and the strut only attached by the rubber top mount.......

I now have an ABS Light coming on, and even when its off, you can lock a wheel so its not working.

It sounds like the ABS Unit is doing its "Self test" routine as I`m driving along, then switching on the Dash ABS light
    The ABS also kicked in at about 1mph while just covering the brake pedal in traffic a couple of times (Light was off at the time)

Please any Ideas ?
    I am thinking Sensor got **** on the end mucking up the signal or Fried ABS ECU
    Its my Daily driver too so will I be alright with ABS Switched off until I can sort it ?

Helpppppppp
    Cheers
    Dom

If the sensors were out, it's probably a position problem. They're too far away from the CV joint.
    If they were not taken out it must be the welding. Unlikely, but possible.

You can drive the car without the ABS working, don't worry.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
      If the sensors were out, it's probably a position problem. They're too far away from the CV joint.
      If they were not taken out it must be the welding. Unlikely, but possible.

Thanks Porkkis, I`ll call in there tomorrow after work and get him to check them first....
      I thought I could drive it no problem, just wanted to be sure
      Thanks again, been Hunting Ebay for ABS ECU`s or likely cars being broken...
      I`ll get a part number off it tomorrow in daylight to cross reference....
      Thanks again
      Dom

Comment

I just hope your welder boy disconnected the battery first - that IS a way to permanently damage the ABS and other controllers. The warning posted on my site here is taken from the Audi manual about ABS.

http://www.s2central.net/abs_01.html

Get faultcodes from your ABS controller immediately. Maybe you are lucky and just the speed sensors are not correctly installed, but if the ABS controller is dead then your mechanic owes you some money !!!

paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
          I just hope your welder boy disconnected the battery first - that IS a way to permanently damage the ABS and other controllers. The warning posted on my site here is taken from the Audi manual about ABS.

http://www.s2central.net/abs_01.html

Get faultcodes from your ABS controller immediately. Maybe you are lucky and just the speed sensors are not correctly installed, but if the ABS controller is dead then your mechanic owes you some money !!!

paul
          I know, your site was the first place I looked Paul
          I have already explained the situation to him and he knows I am not happy
          I Also Owe him for the work done so far, I dont think it will come to that, as he is a reasonable guy but I do have a fair lever if needs be.
          Not sure whether my Local Audi Place will require me to book it in to have the codes read ?
          I was going to call back to the original mechanic tonight as he said he would pull the sensors and clean them up while I wait to see if that is the problem.
          If it doesnt fix it I`ll get it booked in at the Local Audi Dealers just to read the codes !!

Sods Law, up until a couple of months ago I was working on a contract up at Cosworth Technology, they have VAG Main dealer status (Owned by Audi and do a lot of the design and dev work for them, including design and building the RS6 Motor) and have all the Diagnostics and the ECU Codes for calibration and everything....
          I shall keep you updated
          Cheers
          Dom

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
            ....until you're driving along in the pouring rain, and the car in front of you hits the brakes. Then you skid into the back of them, break a few lights and bend the bonnet very slightly, but your insurance company costs the repair at £2500 and values the car at £3500 and so therefore writes it off!

BTDT.

Get it fixed ASAP - the roads are getting slippy - you'll need it before winter's over.
            ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by Sidspud
              ....until you're driving along in the pouring rain, and the car in front of you hits the brakes. Then you skid into the back of them, break a few lights and bend the bonnet very slightly, but your insurance company costs the repair at £2500 and values the car at £3500 and so therefore writes it off!

BTDT.

Get it fixed ASAP - the roads are getting slippy - you'll need it before winter's over.
              Ouch
              I know what you mean though, locked it up and didnt think I was going to stop in time this morning
              Tyres are due for replacement and the winter permaslime is not very nice...

Comment

Working...
              X