Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Brake expert!

Hi!,

In a bit of a dispute with a guy who sold me a "pair" of calipers. The pair turns out to be two of one side! He is arguing that you can correct the orientation of the caliper by swapping bleed nipples/link pipes. I think this only applies to making them leading or trailing on the same side.
    So can anyone confirm who is right. Can you make a n/s caliper a o/s caliper by swapping pipes or is it as I contend that calipers are handed to fit certain sides and swapping pipes is only permissable when converting from leading to trailing.
    Need moral support as I feel a court case coming on!

SCRATCH THAT!
    Spoke to avery nice guy at AP Racing. He confirmed what I needed to know.
    Thanks.

Comment

Trailing, leading, left and right are all different. It is not only the location of the crossover pipe and nipples but also which positions the pistons are in to make sure you don't get tapered pad wear. If you ever need any help with AP calipers in future give me a shout as I have most of their up to date documentation here. I have supplied a few sets too to others too and I know quite a bit about brakes, especially with AP stuff.
      1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
      Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Lee. Basically I needed to know the relative position of the small piston on each side when in a leading position. The guy at AP provided that info.

Comment

Im sure lee build his own calipers or something extreme like that... didnt u lee ?
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Hi!
            It's ok the guy has put his hands up. Although I might just shoot him in the head anyway! He deserves it for being a muppet!

Comment

AFAIK you can change the orientation of some multipot calipers by swapping the crossover pipes & nipples - BUT it can only be done if the pistons are the exact same size... as Lee was eluding to.

The leading piston (first to bite) is smaller on some multipot calipers - like the stock G60 items on our cars - the idea being to provide a progressive feel to the middle pedal.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
                Im sure lee build his own calipers or something extreme like that... didnt u lee ?
                Nah, not quite. Just built a set of brakes that take some major abuse, do not fade, pull incredible g's with the right tyres and can lock the brakes at over 155mph. I did have problems bending the uprights but the brake bracket has been considerably improved to provide a 4-point fixing on the strut. Top mounts and bushes take a punishing too when you use the brakes relentlessly but resolving those issues is also in hand.

Designun Limited....

Comment

'Bending uprights'...

Jaysus Lee - what are you like !

That's nuts...
                  Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I'll give you a demo one day soon. My new brakes are mental.

Designun Limited....

Comment

No its OK - I'm far too old for that sort of excitement ;-)
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

LMAO, bend those struts dude!! I cant wait to drive it and try for myself.
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

When he sorts the mounts and bushes, he'll have to sort out the bending chassis problem!!!
                          SS

Comment

Yeah I know!! It's getting there though. When you upgrade one thing you move on to the next. I don't know of anyone else that has bent an upright: I actually deformed the lugs that the caliper bolts to and had to buy new ones from VAG-PARTS..V EXPENSIVE. I did stress analysis on the brackets I designed and knew that they were the strongest part in the system. The solution now is a 4 point caliper mount instead of the more conventional 2 point: it is quite funky and should be made just after Xmas. The new bracket strengthens the whole bottom end of the strut. Just getting a prototype made now to check dimensions before making the real McCoy. Then the weakest link is the rod in the front shock but I doubt that will bend as there is very little length exposed during full compression!! Can people now understand why topmounts (blue or green) don't cut it in my car?

@Tom, more than welcome to have a shot mate: are you ready for the massive lack of acceleration compared to yours? I will have a trunk full of oils and hoses so I guess it might be safer to remove all of that before you take it for a spin!!!! Don't want a 5litre tub of oil hitting you on the back of the head at Mach5...its gonna hurt! LOL

Designun Limited....

Comment

MACH 5!!! in your dreams, valley boy!!
                              sigpic
                              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                              Audi UR Quattro
                              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                              X