Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost of rear caliper work

Guys,

I've just dropped my car off to get both rear calipers replaced, and also fit new handbrake cables.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long this job would take to do

I just wanna make sure that when I go pick the car up the guy doesn't try to rip me off (as tends to happen all too often )

Alps

Ball park @ 3 hours along with a brake fluid change, that is.... providing everthing comes undone ok and goes back on smoothly. BEFORE you drive away for good, make sure the handbrake cables are fitted up to the floor pan properly! It's all too easy not to do so and then they rub on the prop!!! 3 hours is a fair estimate I reckon. Unless its Tom doing the work as Team Bodge have a special tool to do these jobs...
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thanks Martyn.

Comment

i'm doing it myself this afternoon, a lot cheaper!
        I don't have to change the cable thankfully as that is a PITA to do, hopefully wont take more than hour to swap the calliper over and bleed, although with numb fingers you never know.

fixed the leak in the boot this morning, the car will almost be respectable again.

Comment

Phillio, you aint half chose the wrong day to do the work! Unless you do the work with a thick pair of gloves - which would kinda make things somewhat difficult. Just walking away from the mechanics left my hands and feet devoid of all feeling

As for respectable... my one seems to have a long way to go again! Every time I think I'm almost there, about another 37 things go wrong with it - This morning I noticed the car was "screaming" slightly everytime the turbo kicked in Hopefully it was just trying to adapt to the cold weather

Comment

The stealer said to allow 1 1/2 hours of labour time to replace 1 rear caliper provided all goes well. Mind you, they also quoted me £450 to supply and fit a replacement caliper, so go figure what their part cost was!
            I got my replacment caliper this morning from 4 Ring Spares, for about £60. Was going to fit it this weekend, but damn it's cold out there!
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

From what I hear it should be warm again tomorrow.

Comment

It's snowing in some places...

Comment

Got car back. It almost seems OK. The handbrake though is quite stiff and it does go up quite a fair bit (ooh err ) Is this normal?

Also, the guy didnt change the brake fluid. I only noticed this when I got home and took the bottle outta the boot. Does the brake fluid always have to be changed?

Comment

Got mine today too

Parcel from 4 Rings was here when I got home

The Fluid would at least need bleeding through, and while your doing it, its no harder to bleed the whole lot through........

Cant help with the Handbrake stiffness, I`ll let you know how mine goes
                    Cheers
                    Dom

Comment

I got my caliper fitted, took about 2 hours; you need to bleed the caliper because the replacement is empty and you need to fill that volume.

Can't help on the handbrake stiffness either, unless the cables aren't routing properly underneath?

Comment

Poor bloke who had mine before me got the callipers replaced, think theres a receipt for £600 in my folder some where.....

Comment

Working...
                        X