Winter Salt + DS2500 = Siezed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Salt + DS2500 = Siezed

Took the RS out for a spin in the snow a few weeks ago. Winter tyres, 4WD etc....
    Worked really well. Parked it up, didn't move it for 2 weeks and when I went to drive it next found that the brakes in all four corners had seized on!

Managed to free up the front and rear offside by gently rocking the car on a little clutch. Unfortunately, the rear NS was not giving up so easily. This on fairly new brakes & pads. Eventually it did 'free' up. The rear NS caliper mounting plate/caliper carrier cracked.

Check out the shots..... Best not do that again eh? Doh.

Does anyone have a spare carrier kicking about? They seem to be made from cheese.

What's the best way to change this part? Is it possible to remove the stub axle from the hub with the hub bolt removed? Do I need a slide hammer to get it out and give access to this caliper carrier/mounting plate? Cheers
    Attached Files
    RS2+ (now sold...)

not sure how it comes apart on the rs2 but I'd say you want the whole lot on a bench to check if it's all straight and to unseize it. Can you undo the hub nut and pull the lot off.

Edit must think before i speak
    just noticed it's a bolt as you say...looked like a nut cover which pops off and would have a nut and a split pin.
    Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

The hub will have to be pulled off or pushed out with a press, in the links saltinot has good pics of whats involved.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=26534&page=12

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...=26534&page=14
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I have had similar seizure problems with my winter hack in the past. I have a ford just down the road, so I drive through that every now and again to give the underside a good wash, especially if I know the car isn't going to used much in the near future.

Good luck sorting it.
        SS

Comment

Thanks for the comments and links. I will PM Tom to ask him if he thinks I could get away with using a slide hammer mounted on the studs to remove the stub axle whilst hub is still on the car....
          RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

If it's anything like the S2 set up where the hub is pressed into thte wheelbearing, you've got no chance using a slide hammer. The last one I did needed a 10ton press to get it out.
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Hey Lloyd,

Good to hear from you. Sorry you're having difficulties with your RS.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes the only way to replace the aluminum bracket is to pull the hub. One half of the inner bearing will stay with the hub as it is removed which destroys the bearing so a new one will need to be pressed into place when you reinstall the hub. No way around it, it's just a nasty side affect of pulling the hub.

Like was mentioned above, you will need to pull the bearing carrier and use a press to remove the hub and bearing OR use an on the car puller like I did. I bought this tool 12 years ago and it has paid for itself over and over again. Mine also works on VW, some BMW, Some Porsche so I've made some beer money with it also.

BTW, I still have that other spare bracket if you need it. Just let me know.
              Last edited by saltinot; 18 March 2013, 14:36.

Comment

What is the on the car tool you have?
                Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Thanks Tom. As I feared, it's time for professional help from Will at VRS.
                  Shame about it needing another new wheel bearing - this one is nearly new.
                  RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                    What is the on the car tool you have?
                    Hey Andy, I have the tool produced by Sir Tools. I bought the BMW kit, which is a a cheaper alternative to the kit for Audi/VW. The Audi/VW has pusher washers that I never would need. The BMW kit has everything you need to do typ85, typ43, typ44, V8, B3, B4, C4, etc. Any Audi, or VW, with a 75mm or 82mm bearing can be done with this kit.

Sir Tools B90-BMW. A pic of the BMW kit is at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd View Post
                      Thanks Tom. As I feared, it's time for professional help from Will at VRS.
                      Shame about it needing another new wheel bearing - this one is nearly new.
                      You're welcome Lloyd.

Yeah, that's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                        Hey Andy, I have the tool produced by Sir Tools. I bought the BMW kit, which is a a cheaper alternative to the kit for Audi/VW. The Audi/VW has pusher washers that I never would need. The BMW kit has everything you need to do typ85, typ43, typ44, V8, B3, B4, C4, etc. Any Audi, or VW, with a 75mm or 82mm bearing can be done with this kit.

Sir Tools B90-BMW. A pic of the BMW kit is at the bottom of the page.

Thank you.
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I have had the same Sir Tools kit for years, but the VW/Audi/Porsche kit. I use the washers, and even though it does destroy the bearing it is a good kit. I always use it off the car though.

Greg W.
                          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Working...
                          X