Audi 100 brakes on UrS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi 100 brakes on UrS4

I have a UrS4 with worn out UFO,s and i am not going to buy a HP2 setup for it as it isn´t worth that much as it is. Could i fit regular front struts and brakes from a lets say 2,3 100 instead as i just want it to pass it´s MOT? If so do the struts need to be from a quattro or is the front setut the same on fwd/quattros?
    Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Originally posted by fish View Post
    I have a UrS4 with worn out UFO,s and i am not going to buy a HP2 setup for it as it isn´t worth that much as it is. Could i fit regular front struts and brakes from a lets say 2,3 100 instead as i just want it to pass it´s MOT? If so do the struts need to be from a quattro or is the front setut the same on fwd/quattros?
    Doesn't seem to be a fwd/quattro issue. The V6 struts are 4A0412025AA left and 026AA right. Seems a shame though when it isn't too much effort to convert those UFO struts to hold Cayenne 6 piston brakes.

If you go for the V6 struts and single piston Girling G54 caliper at least get the 4A0615301C 288 x 25 ventilated rotors.

And don't drive too fast. Those brakes will be scary.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

As said, i only want it through the anual test... Not putting a load of $$$ in this car, new UFO parts are stupid money as iare cayenne calipers and HP2 complete struts. I want this to be cheap but functional. I take it the normal 2,3 5pots have smaller CV joint and different splines than the S4/2,8 V6? Or would the 5 pot version also work?

And why would the V6 brakes be scary? They work on the V6 quattros don´t they? I don´t think a V6 quattro is much lighter than a S4 to be honest... I don´t drive this car asa racer, i only use it to go to work and back...

Thanks for the help anyway

Comment

Originally posted by fish View Post
        As said, i only want it through the anual test... Not putting a load of $$$ in this car, new UFO parts are stupid money as iare cayenne calipers and HP2 complete struts. I want this to be cheap but functional. I take it the normal 2,3 5pots have smaller CV joint and different splines than the S4/2,8 V6? Or would the 5 pot version also work? And why would the V6 brakes be scary? They work on the V6 quattros don´t they? I don´t think a V6 quattro is much lighter than a S4 to be honest... I don´t drive this car asa racer, i only use it to go to work and back...
        Thanks for the help anyway
        The wheel bearings all seem to be the same for the AAD (4 pot), AAR (2.3L 5 pot), ABC (2.6L V6), AAH (2.8L V6) and the AAN (20vt). However, the front axles are the same for the AAD,AAR and ABC but the AAH and AAN use different ones, same for the front CV joints. The wheel hubs are the same for the AAD, AAR, ABC and AAH. The wheel hub for the AAN is different. I cannot tell you why or how they are different just that they are different.

The ABC and AAH V6 brakes use 288 x 25 vented rotors. The AAD and AAR front rotors are 288 x15 unvented. Seems like a big difference from the 310 x 25 UFO rotors. The AAN-powered UrS4 could top 150 mph (240 kph) whereas as the 2.8L V6 could probably only do 130 mph (208 kph). I know I'd rather have AAN brakes on a V6 than V6 brakes on an AAN.

Unless you drive it like a grandmother to and from work (which tells me you should sell it and go to a smaller, lighter, more economical vehicle)
        Last edited by UrS4boy; 7 April 2013, 05:56.

Comment

I may have a new set of UFO pads that I ll let you have cheap, I ll look for them later

Comment

Thanks bluequattro, but the only part that isnt stuffed are pads... Discs are wobbly and the calipers are well crap. one of them is sticking a bit, it breaks ever so un evenly, rubber dustboot around the piston is split.

288x25 vented or 310x25 vented doesent seem a huge difference to me.. especially when you consider that the full 310mm isnt really used on the UFO,s anyway. On all the UFO brake discs i have looked at (Not that many to be honest, but still all have been the same) there is a ring of rust around the inner edge that is approx 10-15mm where the pads aren´t touching.. 310 - 20 (10mm each side) is 290mm of braking area. The only pro i can see is that the piston is bigger on the UFO vs ABC/AAH brakes.

I am not slagging you off or anything UrS4boy, infact i am very greatfull for your expertice! There´s not alot of people that know all the things you do, so mate!

Comment

From what I have gather from motorgeek is that the ATE 57mm calliper with the 288mm disces as used on the from the C4 cars, is a better set up than the G60s with 276mm disces when swapped onto the cars previously with G60s

Comment

C4 UrS4/S6 Brake Upgrade Options

Originally posted by goodall View Post
                From what I have gather from motorgeek is that the ATE 57mm calliper with the 288mm disces as used on the from the C4 cars, is a better set up than the G60s with 276mm disces when swapped onto the cars previously with G60s
                I wonder who did that? Most UrS4/S6 people in North America go from the G60s to at least Boxster Monobloc Brembos (with 312 x 25 A8 rotors) or Boxster S Monoblocs (special rotors and hats) or the 911 Big Reds or 928 GTS Big Blacks with 323 x 30 A8/early S8 rotors. I had Boxster Brembos over A8 312 x 25s for 11 years and now have Big Blacks over the 323 x 30s (barely fit under the OE 16" Fuchs).

On my 98 C4 A6 avant with the ATE 57s, I used TT quattro brackets to move the calipers out over 312 x 25 A8 rotors. This *was* an inexpensive improvement. Being the daily driver/leather-seated "truck", I have never driven it faster than about 80 mph (130 kph) so the improved braking is typically not used much. Not so with the brakes on the UrS4. Here is the link to the ATE 57 upgrade link: http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel1.shtml

Here is a link to a C4 UrS4/S6 Front Brake Options post that I did sometime ago (and just updated with the ATE 57 upgrade link): http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/25331.phtml

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post

And don't drive too fast. Those brakes will be scary.
                  Not true.My c4 v6 stops almost the same as my s4 with hp2 conversion..I think more "byte"pads will be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
                    Not true.My c4 v6 stops almost the same as my s4 with hp2 conversion...
                    If "almost the same" is, say, as little as 3 m longer from 100 kph, one day you will shorten your front hood/bonnet by 1.5 m.

Comment

Working...
                    X