This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monobloc maintenence

Not sure if anyone else does this but running the 996/boxster s calipers on the S2, I have over the last few years i've been 'servicing' them roughly every 4-6months and having just completed that task thought I'd actually remember to put it on here for once

The car doesn't get used over frequently but i find over time the brakes lose feel and pedal feels dull. Using the DS2500's, they dust like anything and as a result, everything gets gunked. Add in alloy wheel cleaner and the car standing for a while it all ends up being a recipe for distinctly naff braking over time.

Steps....

1. Jack and axle stands on the front, rears chocked as normal for any work.

2. Clean and drive out the pad retaining pins (that can be a faff all of it's own!!!)
    3. Remove the spung plate which should fall away once the retaining pins are off
    Pull the pads and set to one side
    4. with the pad dampers in situ, push back the pistons to allow for re-assembly, checking they are all free moving and smooth
    5. Retrieve the pad dampers from the pistons (mine have never been 'stuck' to the pads)
    6. clean the caliper with brake cleaner - amazing how much crud gets caught in there
    7. clean the pegs which the pads rest against - these seem to be part of the cause for dull feel as they seem to react with the pad backing material
    8. Wipe clean the pad dampers and re-grease with Textar anti-squeal (GSF)
    9. Inspect pads, clean out the groove if there is one - DS500's have a centre groove and wire brush remaining rubbish from pads in cross hatch style - smear small amount of anti-squeal on pad backing
    10. wire-brush crud from the spring retainer and check condition - as discs age, they can start to touch it and cause noise and wear
    11. Re-assemble: Pad dampers into pistons, turn discs 90 degrees on hub and slip in pads, retainer and after checking and cleaning the pins, reinster and slide in the retaining pin, clean disc faces with brake cleaner and check for smooth rotation

12. admire sparkly calipers, before putting wheels on and dropping car from stands.

**Usual disclaimers about any instructions and safety steps apply **
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

I did this yesterday as was starting to get some resonation at temperature. The centre groove of the outside pads had to be hacksawed due to them caked up completely! I do exactly the same procedure as you've just listed and it usually sorts out any brake noises, good work.

Comment

Working...
    X