Brake error code 00284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake error code 00284

Came up today with an explanation of: right side inlet/outlet valve problem. Intermittent.

The ABS light comes on and off on its own but the code is stored. I can erase it, come up then the light will go off if I switch off the engine and restart the car.

I'm trying to understand if this is an ABS sensor issue or one of the internal valves of the actual ABS module

so far i cannot find on the net anything regarding this code. At least it looks as if its not ABS sensor related as these come up as 00283-00284

funnily enough i cannot find the code of the rear sensors. But ABS sensors are referred as speed sensors in the diagnostic and i assume that the mention of Valve in the explanation may well mean the ABS unit itself...

Comment

According to a source I have its the following:

00284 ABS inlet/outlet valve, front right - N138.
      Open circuit, short to positive or to earth in wiring between ABS hydraulic modulator N55 and control unit J104.
      ABS inlet/outlet valve defective.

Comment

Thanks. So that means either wiring or the abs unit itself then?

Comment

Afraid so!
          Ideally you would need a VAG 1710 (Bosch ABS tester) and the appropriate harness to test the ABS including the individual valves. Its not something that Vag Com does.

Comment

Hmmm that's nice to know. I know a shop relatively close by that could have this.

By the way, when replacing the abs unit do you have to bleed the brakes again?

Comment

I would thinks so as you would be replacing the whole modulator block which means disconnecting all the associated hydraulics!

Comment

Yes indeed. This is a job for SuperBrian!

Comment

Working...
                X