URGENT - safety issue - ABY nearly killed me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT - safety issue - ABY nearly killed me

Went out for a drive today after ultrasonicly cleaning my injectors when i dabbed on the brakes and the the pedal went straight to the floor

As you can see from the photo the stainless mesh brakeline failed big time and i lost all brakes. Most cars have spilt diagonal systems and apparantly not the S2 which is split front rear

Anyone with such an upgraded line i suggest checking over at the next service for seeping and signs of early failure. Luckily i was driving along a mile long straight road...god knows the result if it happened on the track or going into a fast corner

Brian
    Attached Files

Glad you and the car are ok! what brand were they?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Glad you and the car are ok! what brand were they?
      Cheers

6 years ago i won a porsche brake upgrade at the annual forum billing meet, the kits great value for ÂŁ5 worth of raffle tickets.

The brake upgrade and uprated lines were fitted through Cory in lincoln. As far as i know the lines were custom made, so dont know the make of the lines. Just thought it was worth pointing out to people that have uprated systems to check their lines. I was shocked to find no brakes with just one brake line failing...shame the S2 doesnt run diagonal circuits like most other cars.

Comment

The diagonal circuits isn't something that could be done?

Thank god you are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
          ...The brake upgrade and uprated lines were fitted through Cory in lincoln.
          If this is Cory (Corey?) of quattronics fame, then it wasn't the ABY that tried to kill you, it was Corey.

There are lots of braided lines that are good. Goodrich comes to mind. Actually OE rubber hoses can be used, even on big Brembo brakes.
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Even some cars with split lines can end up in same predicament. 2wd c4s have an aluminium restrictor on each rear line which oxides and fails one immediately after the other.has happened to me and I think gt500s car (or his dads) amongst others. No fun at 70mph

Comment

Unlucky Brian, glad to hear you are okay. Corey was a first class :Corey: !
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
                Unlucky Brian, glad to hear you are okay. Corey was a first class :Corey: !
                Is that why the :corey: is tagged as corey then?

Glad all ended well in the end.
                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Wow...close shave
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Can we do a bit reverse engineering on that hose? find the route cause and all that 9 (other than Corry is a ****, which he evidently is)
                    sigpic
                    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Have you changed your underpants yet Brian?
                      Rob

Ragussa green avant RS2+ spec
                      Racing blue Octavia VRS mk2 estate-Remapped now to 250 bhp
                      Audi coupe gt-slow as hell but loads of character-sold

Comment

Originally posted by bertman View Post
                        Have you changed your underpants yet Brian?
                        Ive reverted back to oe replacement hoses for now changed the underpants just after the drive from hell

Fingers crossed it never happens again to me or another S2 forum member....strange feeling going from full 100% confidence in brakes to feeling like your bleeding the system..ie...foot goes to the floor

Comment

This can happen with ANY braided brake line, BTDT before after one rubbed on a cv joint boot. If you dissect them they have a plastic center core that can withstand zero pressure, they rely on the braiding to stop them expanding. If the braiding gets damaged, they go pop very suddenly and catastrophically.
                          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I have seen loads of these fail im sure there is another post on here some place.
                            Im pretty sure its one of them parts that well is better suited to a race car not a road car.
                            Glad your ok !!

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                              This can happen with ANY braided brake line, BTDT before after one rubbed on a cv joint boot. If you dissect them they have a plastic center core that can withstand zero pressure, they rely on the braiding to stop them expanding. If the braiding gets damaged, they go pop very suddenly and catastrophically.
                              Why would the braided part not be able to withstand rubbing on a rubber surface? I would have thought that the rubber would go first not the braided!

Comment

Working...
                              X