Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless 996 Caliper pad retaining pin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless 996 Caliper pad retaining pin.

Am i the only one that finds that my 996 calipers pad retaining pin (the one that threads through the caliper and each pad, and is held in with a "R" clip) a complete *insert "c" word here* every time i have to replace the pads??

I find that the first issue is the electrolysis between the aluminium and steel effectively welds it in place, so it needs a good beating to just initially shift it. Then i find that the exposed centre of the pin gets rusty, which makes it larger than the size of the hole im trying to push it through. So i have to spend ages with grips, file, sandpaper, wire brush. Spinning and dressing the pin in situe before i can use a long shaft punch to tap (beat) it out... This whole process just makes it a ball ache! once the pin is out i can quickly clean it up in a drill with some emery paper, and replace bathed in slippery coppery goodness, but it happens again next time

So i was wondering if anybody makes good quality stainless versions of these pins? and if so has anybody used them and found them to be good.
    Otherwise im going to spend some time on a manual lathe and make some out of 303. Or alternatively i think i have a couple of bar ends of 10mm Diam Titanium somewhere
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Mine always come out on the first try without any sign of corrosion or rust, maybe you have dodgy r-clips?

A quick google and stainless are available to buy, I can't recommend anywhere though as my clips came with the calipers.

Comment

Its the large straight pin i have and issue with. The r-clips come out fine.

Found these on ebay:
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-91...-/331001617644

but i think i might just make some...
      Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
      03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
      01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Sorry, miss read that. The pins aren't too difficult to get out on mine but I do coat them in brake lubricant every time I refit them which probably protects them quite well.

Comment

Aye, same here, they're a right PITA. Stainless ones wouldn't be an issue to have made. Might be about £30 a pair at a guess, less for a proper batch.
          Cheers'en, AndyC
          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
          X