Anyone tried Foliatec caliper paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried Foliatec caliper paint.

Looking round for paint for my Alcon calipers for which Jamil (VolcanoRS) very kindly sorted and fitted new pistons and seals. He couldn't have been more helpful and his assistance is much appreciated, thanks again!

I'd love to get them painted professionally but feel the money would be better spent on new rotors and pads. This stuff sounds OK but I'm always kinda skeptical about such products, anyone have any experience of it or have recommendations for a better product?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4005580064...84.m1423.l2649
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

I dont know why but i always used smoothrite in a can to spray mine and never had a problem...

But i will also say they was always on metal.. and also not the size of brake your on about.

Comment

Although smoothrite/hammerite products are usually ok with the temperatures.
      Its very useful to have a paint that is going to be resistant to the corrosive properties of some brake fluids... ive used halfords spray on and brush on caliper paints and they work ok, although a tad more expensive than regular paints...
      Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
      03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
      01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Brake fluid is the thing that bothers me most, I used some VHT spray caliper paint on my G60's and rears and it is only mildly resistant to brake fluid as I've found out since bleeding the brakes. I want something better for the Alcon's, that Foliatec stuff sounds OK if it does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Comment

I just used normal spray paint when I did my calipers on my Cupra R.
          Don't know what all the fuss is about using VHT paint on calipers, its BS.

I cleaned them down with brake cleaner and strong degreaser, then sanded them down and masked up.

Couple coats of primer, then black, applied the stickers and then a few coats of lacquer.

Done just about 4000 miles and no problems so far, including some fairly spirited driving sessions.

A few pics.

(Yes, I know my alloys need re-furbing)

Comment

I used smoothrite on my last lot of Porsche calipers and it lasted almost 10 years with no issues. I've recently bought some VHT caliper paint and it's chipping off already
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Etch primer is the key when painting Aluminium - everything else just chips or peels off
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by @ndy View Post
                I just used normal spray paint when I did my calipers on my Cupra R.
                Don't know what all the fuss is about using VHT paint on calipers, its BS.
                What does VHT stand for? I know high temperature paint is no BS. Was on a meet 2 weeks ago where a guy with an S2 coupe with Porsche brakes up front smoked the paint of his calipers within a few laps of track driving.

Comment

VHT = very high temperature.

I wasn't sure about using etch primer as it may eat in to the hard anodising more than desired, but I really don't know, Jamil advised against any sort of media blasting for this reason. He also said his paint guy said he would just paint them as he would anything else with normal paint and lacquer. I had them chemically cleaned as opposed to blasted before stripping them down.

Comment

Thought it would be something like that

Comment

The Folliatec paint will be fine Kitt
                      It will chip but it's no where near as bad as Hammerite.
                      I done mine with this about 4 years ago and it still looks good.
                      Use the fast cleaner supplied and clean them up as best you can before applying the paint. I poured a little at a time into a spray can lid as it goes off and forms a skin fairly quickly.
                      For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Originally posted by gripper View Post
                        The Folliatec paint will be fine Kitt
                        It will chip but it's no where near as bad as Hammerite.
                        I done mine with this about 4 years ago and it still looks good.
                        Use the fast cleaner supplied and clean them up as best you can before applying the paint. I poured a little at a time into a spray can lid as it goes off and forms a skin fairly quickly.
                        Excellent, I was hoping someone on here had used the stuff, how have you found it's resistance to brake fluid?

Cheers for the tips.

Comment

Personally I would go with a decent catalysed acylic. I seriously doubt anything sold in Halfords for the use of the general public will cut the mustard.
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I thought this was a type of Acrylic, Alex
                            The old stuff used to come with a hardener you mixed with the paint but the new stuff is pre-mixed.
                            Personally I prefer the older stuff as it's a bit thick when it's pre-mixed, but saying that I have a bit in a sealed tin in the shed and it's still usable.
                            Resistance to brake fluid is quite good if you clean up any spillages straight away.
                            For what this cost me so far I could have bought an S2

Comment

Like gripper just said, as long as you clean spillages straight away most coatings should be fine, fresh water in an old spray bottle works well, the water basically neutralizes the brake fluid and makes clean up easier

Comment

Working...
                              X