Dual caliper brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual caliper brakes

If you want to put a 8-pot caliper you should use 19" or more rims. What if to leave your current rims and to put two calipers at the same rotor like it's done in Maybach or some Bugatties? What are the disadvantages except of mounting problems and weight?

more to the point.... why bother?!?!?!!?
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

The idea is to:
      1. Dissipate much more heat
      2. Use much more pad area (more accurate and stronger force applied to a rotor)

I see some disadvantages:
      1. Weight. More weight = worse contollability
      2. Less space for a rotor to cool. Much less space as two big calipers will cover 3/4 of a rotor surface.
      3. Tires will not be able to realize this braking torque.

I'm interested what others are thinking?

Comment

Well Lee has some 6pot AP Racing calipers on the front of his car, it stops more than adequately and is sufficient to bend struts, so i dont see the need or the point in doing anything more than that
        Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
        2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

True, but the cost of these 6pots, I think, is not as good as it might be with two calipers.

Comment

the twin pot floating G60's weigh a ton....they are not really that efficient on the S2 so adding an extra doubles the weight when a decent alloy 4 pot will probably do a much better job. Plus you have to work out how to hang a 2nd caliper from the strut and how to get the pistons to work together?

Buy a set of Porsche/brembo/ap/willwood calipers which are up to the job and enjoy the new found breaking power It will make much more (finacial) sense at the end of the day i think.
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

If you fit another G60 caliper you will have double the area of fluid acting on the piston. This will mean you will have to move the pedal twice the distance to move the pistons the same amount.

Although I do remember a racing Dolomite Sprint which had another set of calipers, this was in the late 1970's though.

Brake technology has moved on a lot since....

David

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                If you fit another G60 caliper you will have double the area of fluid acting on the piston. This will mean you will have to move the pedal twice the distance to move the pistons the same amount.

Although I do remember a racing Dolomite Sprint which had another set of calipers, this was in the late 1970's though.

Brake technology has moved on a lot since....

David
                What about two lighter calipers with the correct piston area? They don't have to be G60's, right?
                Kenneth
                1990 Coupe quattro
                1991 200q20v x 2
                1985 4ksq 20vt project
                1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                2006 Honda Ridgeline
                1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

Working...
                X