Movit Discs - 322x32 - Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movit Discs - 322x32 - Advice

Has anyone got any knowledge on this braking system. They came with the car and I am mightily impressed with them but the time has come to think about replacing the front discs. QST are the suppliers via MOVIT and the cost is not prohibitive but is costly.

Before I sell a kidney, does anyone have any advice on the discs that MOVIT provide. I understand they cast their discs rather than drill them, hence the strength and heat resistance and why they perform faultlessly without any fade or wharp whatsoever.

I dont want any decrease in braking performance (I drive this car fast everywhere, it is not a daily) but if the disc can be purchased else where for less money, I would be naturally be interested.

Cannot whinge too much. The car has cost me nothing to run the last coupla years, so it is time to treat it. Done the belts this week, need some tyres, going to upgrade all the hoses, a new Aux Rad (to keep it as it should be even if it people think it isn't required) and then just the brakes to have it back up to the standard where I feel confident in driving it like I stole it once more.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

I have had the Movit 322mm brakes on my S4 for over 15 years now. I buy the off-the-shelf Porsche 322mm 993tt discs and swap the bells. For me in the states this is cheaper than buying the entire discs again from Movit.

Comment

What is the braking like in comparison to the Movit discs and how many miles do you get between rotor changes? That would also be cheaper here as well.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Compbrake and Reyland both do good quality replacement rotors in just about any size for £300 a pair tops. Combrake have a slightly better selection and may be the only one out of the two that have your size. Both supply a good number of motor sport clients so their up to the job so to speak.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I use theme on both my cars. Comparing to Zimmermann Sport I used before it feels like different league - lighter, without pads dust catching. I would use on every car if its available.

http://www.dts-team.waw.pl/hamulce/hebel3.jpg

Comment

Thanks guys. Turns out the proper original Porsche 993 rotors (cast not post drilled) are the ones I need and come in less than half the price of what QST want. Excellent news as they are easy enough to source in comparison. I will try them out and see how I go. Should be able to re-use the bells from mine, so might work out even cheaper.

Thanks for the advice people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
              Thanks guys. Turns out the proper original Porsche 993 rotors (cast not post drilled) are the ones I need and come in less than half the price of what QST want. Excellent news as they are easy enough to source in comparison. I will try them out and see how I go. Should be able to re-use the bells from mine, so might work out even cheaper.

Thanks for the advice people.
              Where are you planning to get these and how much are they? I've got MOVITs too.

Comment

A word of warning the Movit bells are made of Aluminium and don't last very well. I sold my set of 993 TT Movit brakes to a guy it Poland. He fitted them and went to test them on a motorway

The bells failed and he was lucky to not kill himself.

The next day he had someone machine some new ones up and carried on using them.

The bells had only been on one set of disc's bought complete from QST at stupid money. My advice would be to get new bells machined up each time you need new disc's or change brakes.

Also compared to Brembo 8 pots from RS4, RS6, Pheaton etc they're not very powerful. But them you need 18" wheels to clear them.

Comment

Here's one of the disc's from the for sale thread in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
                    A word of warning the Movit bells are made of Aluminium and don't last very well. I sold my set of 993 TT Movit brakes to a guy it Poland. He fitted them and went to test them on a motorway

The bells had only been on one set of disc's bought complete from QST at stupid money. My advice would be to get new bells machined up each time you need new disc's or change brakes.

Also compared to Brembo 8 pots from RS4, RS6, Pheaton etc they're not very powerful. But them you need 18" wheels to clear them.
                    Thanks Epic, that is good to know. Am I right in assuming the bells must be some sort of MOVIT fabrication (or a machined copy) ie, the Porsche 993TT discs rotors are ok but not the bells.

I wouldn't expect 4pot braking systems to be better than 8pot. That is not a realistic comparison but a bit scary that the bells failed when so new. The picture of the disc you attach is in very good nick. Mine looks shagged in comparison so lord knows what order the bells are in. I will have my mechanic check and ask for his opinion.

Cheers

Comment

993 turbo discs from Design 911, more robust (and more reusable than the original Mov'it) bells from a machine shop (if you want one with specific brake experience already, try B G Developments) - use current bells as the pattern/template.
                      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Originally posted by S2TORNADO View Post
                        Where are you planning to get these and how much are they? I've got MOVITs too.
                        Just google the part and plenty of places come up both home and abroad. Cost is about £300 or £150 per corner. There are cheaper aftermarket items available for a fraction of the price but from what I can gather via research, they are not cast, are drilled after manufacture, cannot withstand the same heat and therefore wont last anywhere near as long. Don't take my absolute word on that as that info is via a variety of forums and websites but is the best I can find and is deffo preferable to £700+ or whatever QST want for effectively the same product. A variety of pads should be easy to source.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottis View Post
                          Am I right in assuming the bells must be some sort of MOVIT fabrication (or a machined copy) ie, the Porsche 993TT discs rotors are ok but not the bells.
                          Yes - 993 turbo bells are a different size/height to the Mov'it ones for our cars.
                          Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

Originally posted by curlyks2 View Post
                            Yes - 993 turbo bells are a different size/height to the Mov'it ones for our cars.
                            Thanks Curly, more good info. I will see if the current bells can be re-used but if they are in a bad way, will contact the company you mentioned to see the time frame for having some made up. They might have done that model previously with any luck if peoples experience on here with QST prices are anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post

Thats true, right now I'm using your discs, with new bells machined.

Comment

Working...
                              X