Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to vacuum servo conversion

Hi All,

Has anyone got experience of these modern hydraulic servos?
    They're driven from a regular PAS pump. I'm tired of poor brakes on my S2 and I wanted to try something different to a vacuum servo conversion.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Universal.html

Out of interest, why don't you want to use vacuum?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

From what I've researched on the Forum I'm not keen on cutting metal from my engine bay to fit a vacuum servo. I'm also interested in doing something "new".
      My S2 had both its PAS pump and bomb replaced within the last 20,000 miles with OE parts and now the bomb is screwed and my X plug has started to weep, so I'm just cheesed off with older technology.
      With the higher pressures required by the OE power brakes compared to the steering rack, I haven't found a modern electric pump that would do the job, but I'm open to any ideas.

Comment

Who said you have to cut anything to fit a vacuum servo?

Comment

I was under the belief that I had to chop out some metal beneath the driver's side strut brace to fit in the servo body. I don't mind getting new hydraulic pipes made as that's easy.

Comment

Originally posted by A80Avant View Post
            Who said you have to cut anything to fit a vacuum servo?
            In RHD you have to cut,servo wont fit otherwise.

Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Is that bracket a structural thing or could I do without it?
              At the end of the day a vacuum servo would be fine but I'm just hate the idea of replacing a bomb and pump, just to have another link in the chain break.
              The X plug on my current pump must have been weeping for the last fortnight or so. So much so I have taken my car off the road as I don't want oil getting onto my timing belt, as there's plenty of the green stuff dribbling down into my nether regions, if you know what I mean!

Comment

It might be a little bit structural, as there is one on the other tower, but I think the effect is very small, also these brackets hold fuel lines and access is very limited with the engine still installed.
                I am not a fan of the bomb, I dont like the pedal feel, and replacement costs, so this was an essential conversion for me.
                Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                X