Another possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another possibility

I got asked to price up some R32 front pads at the weekend. While I was doing I had a look at the prices for callipers.

They use a 334x32 disc (wrong PCD but there is a passat disc that is the same size) and the callipers retail at £71.24 + VAT each.

Could be another alternative brake upgrade although not sure what brackets (if any) would be needed to fit them and they wouldn't fit under standard rims.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Whilst searching a post on a Mk4 Golf forum I found a post on these.....
    .....unfortunately not a 4-pot like the SeatCupraR brembos......

OK - here's what you're after.
    They are 2-pot calipers
    1j0 615 123E and 124E

The discs are 334x32
    1j0 615 301AA and 302AA

The carriers are different
    1j0 615 125B and 126

Finally the bearing housing is a different part no too
    8N0 407 255E and 256E

......post if anyones interested.....link

Comment

Would this be do-able then for out S2's??

Cos thats much more affordable.... plus i get huuuuuuuge discount at GSF
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

What about the Seat - Brembo set up, would that come in any cheaper (and would it fit?)? Probably not...

I guess the problem with all of this is brackets?

Argh, too many options, not enough money
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

The seat option wouldnt work cos the discs were too thin....

Can Anyone look in to this R32 option??
          Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

The S2 already has 2 pot brakes so the main advantage would be Disc size...... and if you're going to the effort of making brackets for R32 calipers then why not just go for 4 pots instead ? There are plenty of better brakes out there for the money too.

R32 calipers are prob c~ £200 inc vat for a pair - you can get a set of 996 calipers for not much more than that......

Dan - Seat calipers were dealt with in a previous post & turned out to either use small disks (25mm) or cost too much for the 'big' ones.

(oh and my complete 315mm Bremsport/AP kit will soon be for sale when I get round to buying the rest of the bits i need for my porsche conversion!)
            Last edited by Alistair C; 4 November 2003, 18:11.

Comment

Hi Alistair C, I am very interested in these brakes if they fit in the 16"Avus Rims, could you e-mail me a pic of them and if your selling then i am definitely interested.
              Cheers
              Graham

P.S. My E-mail is Kendra.gibson4@ntlworld.com
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

above says the R32 calipers are £71, so its only around 150 for the calipers... 996 calipers wont come in anywhere near this price...

altho if the difference isnt going to be that significant then i wont bother with it... i just cant afford the hundreds it costs for the 4 pot option
                Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I think the brakes on the S2 are not worth spending small amounts of money on. From my experience, I think if you want a brake upgrade, save up and do it properly. This way you wont be disappointed with the results and you wont have to spend another fortune upgrading again.

Just my thought on the subject HTH
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                  Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I want to have 4 pot 330mm AP Racing Kit. But why it's so expensive ?

BTW does anybody heard of alcon ??? Any feedback on those ?
                    Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Alcon is also a very good motorsport manufacturer.....

They usem them on the Ford Racing Puma..... which in itself is not really a selling point - but whn I looked them up they seemed to be quite well respected..... and the pair I saw on e-bay sold for a shed-load!

Comment

Problem you'll have with Alcon is replacement discs. they can take up to 2 months to supply new ones.
                        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Alcon was audis' choice caliper for their touring cars too....they seem to have quite a bit of history with them. Nowadays there is a 'control' brake across the whole btcc grid, from i think AP Racing.

David
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

when brabus do their conversions on mercs they bin the amg setup and fit alcons, quote "britain makes the best brakes"

Comment

Working...
                            X