STOP - literally, got my new brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOP - literally, got my new brakes

Finally after a wait that even the most patient child could not cope with, AP decided to send me my new factory brake kit for the S2.

Lets hope the wait was worth it, as I have not been able to drive it properly in anger for what seems likes months (only about 3 really)

So the Movit kit will be up for sale I should think if anyone wants spares, bells or mounting kit etc for Movit or Porsche Applications (993TT i think) One caliper needs a bit of work and the discs need replacing ideally but I am sure somebody could use them.

Just need to get them fitted now. I even got my boiler fixed today as well as making progress with a new lady. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Last few months have been crappy to say the least but just a couple of things need to go right to make you feel better. Game on!
    Attached Files

Nice! Will you fit the bigger ones on the left or right side?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Nice! Will you fit the bigger ones on the left or right side?
      Ha ha, depends on how much change I have in my left or right pocket to counter balance them

Comment

Go on.... open op the boxes then. i like AP brakes just so damn rare! Need pictures
        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
        96 URS6 plus speck estate
        94 2.6 80 Avant
        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Sorry, was that teasing? I didn't have time earlier to get it all out as had a couple of important things to do this afternoon.

Here are a couple of shots. For some reason my cam will only let me take 3 pics despite it having a huge mem card in it. 3 will have to do.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nom. Good enough to eat
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You could shave on the disc grooves. I was surprised how sharp they are. Pretty sure they will stop well (and eat pads ha ha)

Comment

Yes they eat pads, and are quite noisy. But on a toy they are perfect
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Deffo a toy. Gotta cover a coupla hundred miles before going batsh*t mental though. Will be hard.

Comment

You can bed them in in about half an hour

Use this method:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ght=bed+brakes
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

There is quite an extensive set of guidelines for bedding in that came with the instructions etc. It says;

Caution - Do not use brake system heavily until the following procedure has been completed

1. While stationary, pump brakes to ensure a firm pedal
                      2. Drive vehicle cautiously to test fit and function
                      3. Brakes should be smooth with no vibration or judder
                      4. Drive the vehicle to a remote area and perform at least 30 light brake applications from 55mph to 30mph, preferably in blocks of 5. Leave at least half a mile between each block of 5 braking applications. For the next 100miles, increase the braking pressures, avoiding if possible full stops from over 70mph. After another 100miles of slowly increasing the braking effort, full power stops can be used. The area adjacent the disc mounting bolts should be a light blue temper colour
                      5. The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without causing thermal shock and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces.
                      6. The system is now ready for "normal" use (I added the inverted comma's)
                      7. Please drive safely and respect the WARNING concerning driving on page 1.

I can confirm that S2 drivers need not bothering with page 1.

So basically that is another 80quid of fuel down the pan for that procedure and hope I don't encounter any spirited Porsche or Skyline drivers until this process is complete ha ha.

Comment

Nice set up, do the calipers have dust shields on the pistons? I only ask as I need to upgrade also and am wanting to go the \Porsche route but I am curious on more information on yours?
                        Having used AP in the past not all there calipers are for the road...

Comment

Race performance but these are built for the road. Yep, they have dust caps or would need cleaning and servicing far too often. Should have thought to take pics of the other side of the calipers but had no memory capacity for some reason. Camera is crap (or the card)

Comment

They look very nice I am thinking long term about brake conversions on my 5 stud conversion. Brembo/Porsche calipers as readily available second hand but weight is a consideration as i want to keep unsprung mass down in each corner.Of course when i do a conversion will keep my originals to put back if needed

Was there a particular reason for buying the AP kit? What size wheels are you running?
                            96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                            96 URS6 plus speck estate
                            94 2.6 80 Avant
                            99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

17 Inch wheels. AP provide cut out templates to ensure they fit etc. All seem to be fine but we will see in a few days.

I wanted a brand new set of brakes and wanted something with a very good track record that would also serve to future proof the car in terms of replacement components in the future. I also only use my car as a toy as such. It is used about 99% of the time as a blast car and never for transport. I live in the country where roads are brilliant but plenty of trees lining the roadside. I don't want to hit these trees. Sure, they are not cheap but then neither are bumpers, IC's and cross members. When you have the confidence to stop on a penny, you can really enjoy the full potential the car offers. The way I use the car, I need the best stopping power possible but also without the hassle of having bespoke parts made up and knowing I can replace any component at a moments notice.

Comment

Working...
                              X