Adjustable brake proportioning valve experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable brake proportioning valve experiences

I know a few people have fitted adjustable proportioning valves in place of the OEM fixed valve and I just wondered if there was much improvment to be had after fitting larger front and/or rear brakes? They are not expensive or hard to fit so I'm just interested in anyones experience of any improvments to be had on a mixed use weekend toy road/track car rather than pure track machine?

To remove the OEM valve in an otherwise stock set-up is pretty easy, the front line pressure supply to the valve can be plugged with a bleed nipple, and the OEM valve removed, with the adjustable valve plumbed in its place - pretty straight forward. Before anyone says, yes I am aware the stock valve is supposed to have a safety feature whereby it "monitors" the front circuit line pressure and in the event of a failure bypasses the proportioning valve and gives the rear axle full line pressure. I know of a couple of people who have had a front circuit failure and this was not their experience! They lost all brake hydraulics and had to use the handbrake to stop! So I'm not really concerned about loosing this "feature".

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

On track, in the wet, I needed less rear brakes and in the dry it was about right. On the road it's a bit too rear biased. All a function of brake temps and tyre grip.

314mm A8/996 front, 314mm K24R setup at the back, both with ds2500 pads.

My issue with proportioning valves is that I'd like to adjust it in the car, so lots of extra plumbing is needed as you can't get remote adjusters
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Interesting read, as ive binned my abs and running large brakes all tound ill be listening to this thread

Comment

I've noticed that the brakes are more rear biased at least that's what I feel..I can make the car slide round corners by locking the rears and they do lock up pretty quickly, the first time it happened it took me by surprise
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Someone suggested to me i look into this as i've had a problem with balance since uprating the rears.

Currently running front RS6 8-pot 365mm and rear 996 4-pot 330mm.

Balance was ok with the RS6 fronts and rear urS4 setup.
          S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

on stock rear and 6 pot from I was ok on stock setup.

ill see what happens on big b3 rear conversion.

Comment

As I recall, there is only a single hydraulic pipe to the rear brakes as the T-piece is somewhere around the rear diff (on the Coupe anyway) - one could easily route that single pipe into the cabin for an adjustment knob somewhere around the handbrake.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Has any one tried a set of pressure gauges to check the brake pressures front and rear as they are?
                Chef

Comment

I have ordered a pressure gauge to measure my line pressures
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                  X