*%#@%*&!! Brake lines!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *%#@%*&!! Brake lines!!!

Changing over to SS brake lines but I need to get the old ones off. Will a heat gun set to high help with loosening the couplings? Or will I need to apply an open flame from a propane torch. On one side the clip seems welded into the coupling between the solid line and rubber line grrrrrrrrrrrr! Any tips or ideas?

I used a small micro propane torch, and a decent set of brake pipe spanners, they were tight but came undone without any damege. Open end spanners are probably guaranteed to round off the fitting, unless your really lucky. The fittings looked alot worse that they are, i found a good old wire brush up cleared away most of the crud.
    HTH
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Graham
      I used a small micro propane torch, and a decent set of brake pipe spanners, they were tight but came undone without any damege. Open end spanners are probably guaranteed to round off the fitting, unless your really lucky. The fittings looked alot worse that they are, i found a good old wire brush up cleared away most of the crud.
      HTH
      Graham
      yep-propane torch will do the job, just dont forget to change brake fluid if u used torch for a longer time, as the fluid will start boiling, and could loose some of its properties. If dont have a set of brake line spanners-cut existing rubber pipes off, and put "closed loop"(dont know how in english exactly) on the fitting.

Wear the gloves-as the brake fluid not very friendly to the hands-will dry them completly.

Andy

Comment

Are Those Aeroquip Brake Lines ????

Where Can I Buy It ?
        S2 Limo sold !!!
        M5 E34 with some mods in the garage
        sorry, but much happeir now !

Comment

Panzer,
          I also needed a torch when I changed mine...was a real SOB too!

Watch for fuel lines on the appropriate side!!
          Joe "NoNonsense"
          axis motorsport
          joe@axismotorsport.com

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box."

Comment

Andy made a good suggestion of a ring spanner. I have a proper Sykes Pickavant brake union spanner. Try the old trick of tightening the connection first to break the corrosion.

I did this recently but my car has only done 22k and has not gone as rusty as some of my normal restoration projects....

I still haven't fitted the new lines yet....

David

Comment

They are a total beeatchimo... Had to fight with a few in the past... Mine will get uprated to steel on next winters task list !

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by s2-1.5bar
                "closed loop"(dont know how in english exactly)
                Andy
                Ring spanner....
                Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Originally posted by Beetie
                  Ring spanner....
                  You're a bit slow tonight Chris, I put that 2 posts ago!

David

Then again you probably Ignore my posts

Comment

Hi Marc,
                    Like suggested before, since you are replacing the lines, cut the rubber and used a closed end wrench. Also use a little rust buster, no WD40, and let it work for a while. If you can, try to just heat up the connection on the rubber side. This will expand the connection. To prevent trouble in the future, on the upper part of the threaded hardline, put a little antiseize. Just on the upper threads not near the bubble flare. Makes then a whole lot easier to come off the next time.

Greg
                    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

It sounds like I've got this to look forward to as well. Where’s the best place to get SS brake hoses from? My brother’s got a friend at Goodridge, but I haven’t heard back from him yet.
                      SS

Comment

Need to put in to my dictionary: closed loop spanner-ring spanner.

Live and learn

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                          You're a bit slow tonight Chris, I put that 2 posts ago!

David

Then again you probably Ignore my posts
                          Behave how can i ignore you! You'll just throw another fancy handbag my way!
                          Anyway you didnt mention ring spanner, just a brake pipe spanner, totally different IMO!
                          Was a '93 3B, Dont ask now tho......

Comment

Working...
                          X