Poor mans brake upgrade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor mans brake upgrade!

I've decided to try the cheaper option for brakes! Zimmerman drilled disc's on the front with Pagid fast road pads and fast road pads on the rear too! (can't get the rear disc's anymore! discontinued! ) I came to fit it all tonight after work and found the front pads are miles too small!! tiney in comparrison to the OE! Anyway its just got the drilled discs on the front at the mo, i got hungery so i came home for me T! Even though there not bedded in to the pads yet (initail bit is a bit crap yet), there is a noticeable difference in slowing at speed! (also a bit noiser too) Should be much better when all fitted and bedded in! (although iam not expecting too much as it is the cheap option after all, all in at a smidge over a one'er!, pretty cheap in anyones book!) Suit you sir! suit you!

I'll keep you all posted on the poor mans upgrade!

Glen C.
    Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Sounds like the same as i'm running...... Zimmerman Cross-drilled and vented discs and Pagid fast road pads.

Not bad... noisy tho!! Sooooooooooo want a big brake conversion, but they all costs waaaay too much!!!!

Is there anything that doesnt cost millions to do on these cars?!!?!?
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Is it worth trying S8 discs with standard calipers and a custom bracket to space the calipers out?

Is it discs too small or calipers that are crap that's the problem?

(I know my mate with a mk3 golf got bigger TT discs and custom brackets for his standard calipers and they made a huge difference)
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Glen,

You sure you got the correct pads - i used this setup before changing the pads to Mintex recently and they fitted ok.

It does provide a better than OEM setup - only real issue is that there is a shed load of brake dust generated by those pads.

Cheers,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Glen - this is what the pad should look like:
          Attached Files
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

and a word of warning for those of you speaking to Demon Tweeks about pads.....they tell you that they stock a pad for the S2 from Ferodo the ds2500 - as you can see, even though the packaging says for audi S2 G60 caliper it aint gonna fit

So i ended up getting the Mintex 1144 which are ok and bite well 2nd stab but think they are a bit more coarse due to the higher copper content.

David
            Attached Files
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I'd be very interested in a successful poor-mans brake upgrade as my finances, as much as I'd love them to, simply won't stretch to the what is actually very good value Hispec system...

I was wondering if the Zimmerman x-drilled discs would make any difference, but I'd also be very interested to learn if there was a chance of getting a bigger disc in there without having to change the calipers. I know that a 4-pot caliper makes a mammoth difference, but I need something I can afford.

Would the A8 disc work with the standard caliper and some bracket? Where could such a bracket be got from?
              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Dan,

As i mentioned above the straight disc swap does make a difference over the genuine no performance/no feel OEM setup. Upgrasde the pads too to the pagids or something else like a mintex or others that fit a G60 caliper.

The bracket is always an issue though - as in who and where to get one from/made up

David
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I was gonna run the pagid pads with the zimmerman discs but german and sweedish can't get the front pads and the rears were looking iffy to get too! So Ive opted for the EBC red at the front and green at the rear not cheap but got both sets for £125? best i could get? The engines in bits now with the turbo conversion but it all should be running in a week or so! (he says!!!) so ill post some feed back on the brakes when i have an engine to make it go.

Comment

You could ask Corey on the forum about making brackets as if this worked and improved fade it woud make good business sense to sell it as a cheap upgrade path.

Lee on here has made his own brackets - maybe he can add some comments on cost or company to deal with to get some made up.

Would Hispec do this sort of thing?
                    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Chamberlain
                      I was gonna run the pagid pads with the zimmerman discs but german and sweedish can't get the front pads and the rears were looking iffy to get too! So Ive opted for the EBC red at the front and green at the rear not cheap but got both sets for £125? best i could get? The engines in bits now with the turbo conversion but it all should be running in a week or so! (he says!!!) so ill post some feed back on the brakes when i have an engine to make it go.

Sounds odd to me as I got all my stuff from GSF, they dont do X-Drilled rear disks tho, only Brembo vented rears, but they def do Pagid Fast road pads all round!
                      Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by S2 Ant
                        Sounds odd to me as I got all my stuff from GSF, they dont do X-Drilled rear disks tho, only Brembo vented rears, but they def do Pagid Fast road pads all round!
                        I took the pads up to them at GSF and they def said that they didn't do a fast rd equivalent? for the front! He was lookin in to the rears? Just out of curiosity if you have any numbers (GSF numbers as well if poss) then i'll try him again just to see?
                        Looks like he must be signing from the wrong hym sheet!

Comment

Pagid front and rears for sure and zimmermann do/did do cross drilled rears as i have them fitted on the rear and cross drilled vented ones on the front....

David
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

A mate of mine is an assistant branch manager for GSF down my way, so i tend to get good service and v good prices

I'll try find the part number i was supplied and let you know when i do....
                            Ant

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Just wondering, anything to report on the "poor man's brake upgrade"?
                              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Working...
                              X