No announcement yet.

spongy brake pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive just had my car up on stands, wheels off and removed calipers to try the bleeding 'nipple upper most' idea...

This is the best thread ever!

IT WORKED! i cannot believe the difference a few small bubbles (weirdly only out of one side) can make now they are not in my brake caliper!

Looking at it critically, it may be the fluid hose and bleed nipples are the wrong way round because where the hose goes in was certainly higher than the nipple. it is odd though as if i were to swap them round, the hose would go through a really tight bend and really would not be right in my book. It doesn't matter though, i now have sharp brakes and with more power than i can remember them having for a long time.

Comment

Blowing off dust of an old topic...

After changing the brake lines on my Audi RS2, I bled the system with an Eezybleed kit. However, the brake pedal still feels spongy.

I connected the brake line left front to the ABS block, but probably it was not sealed.
      After testing by putting pressure on the brake pedal, I noticed brake fluid escaping through the wrongly connected nipple (AARGGHHH...).
      Therefore I assume that air must have entered the ABS block.
      I tightened the nipple and put pressure on the brake pedal. The system seems sealed now, but the pedal feels soft and goes deep.

On a rainy day, I went out for a drive on wet surface to activate the ABS. After bleeding again, the pedal still feels spongy.
      No air bubbles escaping at the calipers.

What can I test next?

- Can I activate the ABS pump through OBD and VAGCom? Please see picture of my ABS pump below.
      - Are there any other bleed nipples, apart from the nipples on the caliper?

Other suggestions?
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

How much fluid have you flushed through since you found the leak on the abs module since it will be mid circuit I would expect you will need to flush more fluid through too
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I guess about 1 to 1,5 liter through the system. Should I flush more?

Comment

I think that should be enough. When you do the circuit also bleed the clutch too
            Greg

Comment

I thought that the clutch is on a separate circuit? Can there be a relation between a spongy brake pedal and the bleeding of the clutch?

Comment

I’m pretty sure it’s on a different circuit but normally bleed when I do my brakes aswell
                Greg

Comment

Ok, I finally solved the spongy brake pedal and would like to share the following feedback:

- I connected the Audi RS2 to VAGCOM. However, we were not able to activate the ABS module with VAGCOM. Bummer

- After the dissappointment of the failing VAGCOM, we put the car on a bridge and found the solution. Almost too embarrassing to explain: appartently, there are 2 nipples on each caliper! One nipple on each side of the brake disk. I feel so stupid that I didn't discover that earlier. So we bleeded all 8 nipples again. Some air bubbles came out of the nipples behind the brake disk. During the next test ride, the brake pedal felt firm, no spongy feeling anymore. Hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by Braeckie View Post
                    Ok, I finally solved the spongy brake pedal and would like to share the following feedback:

- I connected the Audi RS2 to VAGCOM. However, we were not able to activate the ABS module with VAGCOM. Bummer

- After the dissappointment of the failing VAGCOM, we put the car on a bridge and found the solution. Almost too embarrassing to explain: appartently, there are 2 nipples on each caliper! One nipple on each side of the brake disk. I feel so stupid that I didn't discover that earlier. So we bleeded all 8 nipples again. Some air bubbles came out of the nipples behind the brake disk. During the next test ride, the brake pedal felt firm, no spongy feeling anymore. Hooray!
                    You learn something everyday, and its nice to know it was a simple case of bleeding the brakes rather than something expensive
                    Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X