Decent EBC Suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent EBC Suppliers

Anybody know a reputable outfit that can supply EBC GreenStuff pads for the mighty S2 ?

Haven't called anybody yet for prices - figured someone here must have bought some recently in the UK...

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

proven products had a good price when i checked a while back
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

www.Need For Speed

Got my bits and pieces from these guys, always had good service.

Mark

Just checked 118 squid for front discs

link
      Last edited by MT01631; 4 November 2003, 19:33.
      93 S2

Comment

Paul, a couple of replies I have had back from EBC during the year:

Alistair,

We recommend our Redstuff pads for this car. Greenstuff is really for hot
        hatches like Citroen Saxo's, Honda Civic, etc.
        200+ BHP, Turbo's and 4WD is usually a redstuff car, however if you have
        used greenstuff and are happy with it then continue with it.
        Drawing will be faxed over after lunch.

Best regards
        Bob Sketchley@ technical@ebcbrakesuk.com

Alistair,

Redstuff is no more abrasive to disc's than Greenstuff.
        No independent trials have been carried out as far as we know other than the
        1999 "MaxPower" shootout which Greenstuff won.
        Brake compounds are a bit like curries those that like Korma's dont like
        Vindaloo's.

Best regards
        Bob Sketchley@ technical@ebcbrakesuk.com

...... I've had greenstuff on my car since I bought it. Since I changed my pads I've had them continually 'mark' the disks with black spots - indicating to me overheating. Since the weather has cooled down the disks have cleaned up nicely but I have already ordered Redstuff as an alternative.

£40 or so for greens £65 or so for reds. Unfortunately these were for the bremsport calipers so not much use for you. Purchased from TAS on 01772 45 46 47.

Comment

Ive just bougth reds for the front and greens for the rear and they cost me £118 all in. The original price for reds was about £87 + VAT and greens £78 + VAT and greens for the rear were about £35 + VAT. I managed to det a discount cos iam a tight **** and refused to pay that for pads but also cos they forgot to order them.?

Double Check the Part Nos but iam pretty sure they are correct?
          DP3711 = Front RED
          DP2711 = Front Green
          DP2370 = Rear Green

I fot them from a local supplier. "A1 motor stores" AKA "Top Gear"
          Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

www.motorsportworld.co.uk got me a set of greenstuffs for my 6 pots for 60 quid. I think you'll find that Circuit Supplies (no number to hand) should be very competitive on delivered prices. I hated these pads with a vengance and have just changed to Ferodo DS2500. Yes they were 175 quid (for AP 6-pots remember!!) for these pads but they are a world apart...higher coefficient of friction, more consistent performance, more fade resistance, much smoother/quiter and have a lower wear rate. I also found that the greenstuffs deposited lots of deposits on the disk surface which I have been told is copper from the pad compoud (probable?) and this leads to brake judder. I was actually melting the greenstuffs and the colour of my disks were indicating that they wree hitting around 700 deg C.

BTW A lot of people in the braking trade refer to Greenstuffs as Greenshit when used on heavy cars. I am sure they are fantastic on something like a Focus but I found them no good on the heavyweight S2.

For me, my caliper limits my choice to Greenstuffs (never again), Ferodo DS2500 (fantastic pads, currently fitted), Ferodo DS3000 (these go off like cathrine wheels expelling incandescent material all over the place but are meant to be stunning) and Performance Friction Compound 93 (Indy car pad..for some reason, I think they might be crap on the street!!).

Lee

PS I have found Motorsportworld to be pretty unbeatable on prices for anything car-upgrading-wise (including stuff like Koni Shocks because their margins and overheads are pretty low). Good guys to talk to so I recomend picking up the phone and talking to them......top recomendation.
            1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
            Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I run redstuff up front on my Porsche/Movit front rotors and greenstuff ( aka greenshit ) on the rear 280mm set up. I have to say that I can't see any reason to change.
              I am well happy with their performance and the few people here that have been riding with me when I have used them in 'anger' I am sure would agree that they work well.
              I also find that the reds work well from cold (but they be because of the increased clamping from the Brembos?) and have never needed to warm up to be effective.
              I absolutely agree with Lee, a car as heavy as an S2 will demolish Greens up front and they wont do your rotors much good either, steer away from the Greens on the front brakes, but I certainly endorse the reds up front.

Everyone has their favourites, just my two pence worth .

Mark.

P.S. forgot to say, I got mine from a place called SEJOC in Tilbury Essex:

http://www.sejoc.co.uk/

but I just checked and the websites down at the moment .
              Last edited by Mark Halligan; 4 November 2003, 20:16.
              Mark - Modded

Comment

I would have bought reds but can't get them for my calipers. One important point about brake pad research is to make sure that any comparative road tests (as seen in magazines and websites) have been conducted on a similar car. The regime that brakes for a 1000kg hot hatch operate are completely different to the 1600kg S2 and the comparisons are invariably void.

I would be more than happy with greens on the back as they should be ideal. Redstuffs won't take long to heat up with a car as heavy as an S2.

Mark, how are the redstuffs around town for cold low speed stops? Interested to know really.

Lee

Designun Limited....

Comment

Lee,

A typical weekday morning for me is a turn out of my road and straight into traffic of varying degrees until I get onto the dual carriageway (A10) into work, which is also heavy with traffic.
                  Maybe they warm up quicker because of the stop/starting in traffic?
                  But they cause me no problems at all, its usually something else that focuses my mind like a new noise from my tortured drivetrain :wacked: or more recently blue smoke from my fecked stem seals .........I hope .

But seriously, I find them to be a reliable and effective pad on the front, with no issues with regard to warming up, but as I said this may be because of the increases clamping from the Brembos?

Mark.
                  Last edited by Mark Halligan; 4 November 2003, 20:41.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

I use the reds on the front of mine and i have no warm up probs really. They are fine in town traffic. Greens are IMHO a bad choice for the S2. The car is too heavy.

HTH
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I use the Ferrodo DS2500, as AP racing told me to remove the "crap" mintex pads I had and try these.

They are really good and they are only £70 for the front set for the AP 330mm kit :nana: Got mine from Graham Goode Racing - they were the cheapest place I could find.
                      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by MT01631
                        www.Need For Speed
                        Got my bits and pieces from these guys, always had good service.
                        Errm. Have you also had fast service? I've ordered 2 sets and some bike parts for my friend a week ago and they haven't contacted me yet. I got the automatic confirmation by email of course but nothing else and my credit card has not been debited... strange.
                        -

Comment

OK so the next question is this....

The 996 calipers use Textar pads as OEM fit on the Porsche 911. You can get these for £38 from GSF / ECP.
                          Alternately, the DS2500 pads are £130 (discounted prices!)

So is it worth the extra £90? (don't forget we are talking 996 C4 standards!)

and yes I'm leaning towards the Ferodos!!

Comment

For standard road use you'll be fine with Textar. If you plan on some mad driving Ferodo would probably be a wiser choice but you can always carry 3 spare sets of Textar around for the same money.
                            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

DS2500 is the best pad I have tried. Excellent hardware. The transformation is amazing. I wouldn't have bought the greenshits but they were the only thing available for my calipers at the time other than some stupid track-only compounds.

If you can get them, to suit your calipers, I would get some Pagid Blues. These have come highly recomended to me by someone I know who has done extensive pad testing. Loads of pads were experimented with and the list even included Hawk racing pads. Loads were tried but the best performer overall was the Pagid Blue pads (I think the compound is D14 but I can't be 100% sure!). These proved immense on the track and street combination testing. I also know people running these pads on their heavily modified RS4s. Some of those guys have spent thousands trying out different break kits offered by various tuning outfits (Sportec and AP allways come out tops BTW). Many have compared several pads and they too have found the Pagid blues to be the best choice for obscenely fast and very heavy cars. Can't get Pagids for mine though

Serious pads cost serious money. It is worth spending extra because it is a critical safety item and should get the same attention as suspension and tyres. As Porsche say, "Power is nothing without control".

Designun Limited....

Comment

Working...
                              X