Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi A6 Hella HID transplant.

Guys,

I won a set of original Audi A6 Elipsoid headlights c/w HID ballast (4B0 941 471) & bulbs (D2S), off ebay (£120).
    I have managed to transplant the A6 elipsoid bulb units into the S2 elipsoid unit. I can now use the A6 philips bulbs.
    The new units both fit snug into the original elipsoid appature. I am assuming that they will align properly.
    The car had just passed its MOT, so I have a year to sort out any alignment problems.

Whilst the S2 headlight units were stripped, I had the reflector units re-coated (vacuum metallising), all the non-reflective bits I have had sprayed matt-black.

Now the science bit. Can I simply connect the yellow(+ve), & the brown(-ve) from the ballast units to the original headlight wiring, or is it advisable to create a new relay fed circuit ?.

I dry ran the units by hooking up to spare 12v battery, & was blinded. Man these things are bright, & white.

Many of you are probably thinking why i never just got an after market kit. I suppose I could have, but for £120, it was worth the risk to fit original Audi. (£1000 worth of parts if I would have gone to Audi).

PS The original units can be fitted back in if I need to. No parts were damaged in the transplant, for I had all of the conversion parts machined.

Any ideas please.

Imran.
    Last edited by thefibreguy; 10 August 2005, 20:34.

Erm why didnt you just buy a VAG parts HID kit design to fit the S2 perfectly.

Either a extreme or standard they kick ***.

As for your problem maybe you could compare your stuff to the S2 install pics

http://www.vagparts.com/pages/H1_install.htm

Comment

I think this is what Greg done on his S2. Try searching thru this section for posts started by him.
      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by thefibreguy
        I had the reflector units re-coated (vacuum metallising)

Where can you get this done and at what cost?
        '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

Just connect the yellow (+ve) wire to the yellow live fead that would normally go to the original dipped beam bulb. Brown obviously goes to earth.
          SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
            Just connect the yellow (+ve) wire to the yellow live fead that would normally go to the original dipped beam bulb. Brown obviously goes to earth.
            Ground to the body rather than the brown wire inside the light. Safer incase your HID draw high current.

Comment

Yup. That's what meant. One of the bolts on my inner wing seemed to do the trick.
              SS

Comment

Originally posted by thefibreguy
                I had the reflector units re-coated (vacuum metallising), all the non-reflective bits I have had sprayed matt-black.
                Originally posted by merlin's S4
                Where can you get this done and at what cost?
                Bump !! where'd you get that done Imran?? and how much??

Jas
                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Imran, are you using philips D2S bulbs now instead of H1's?
                  This is what im using in my my kit, but the covers for the back of the headlight now dont fit. Need to get that sorted somehow.

Comment

Martin,

Yep, I am using Philips D2S. I just got my lights back today, all sprayed & re-coated. I have not tried to fit the rear cover on yet, but will keep you posted.
                    Did you use the elipsiod unit from the S6, or have you modded your S2 lights ??

Do you have any pics of your ballast mounting locations.

BTW, what sidelights you using to compliment the D2S ??

Imran.

Comment

I modded the s2 lights to make them fit, and made some adapters to mount the bulb in.
                      Didn't take any pics though. The ballasts are fixed to the back of the headlight. But the rear cover problem needs sorting, dunno how yet.

Im using some PIAA "extreme white" sidelights. They have a blue coating over the bulb which has started to peel off! Quality!

Have you got any pics of the re-coated parts?

Comment

Martin,

Today, I had to hot-foot it over to Chertsey, from Watford, then back to Bedford. Guy originally wanted £70, but asked for £90 !!!!. Must say, the units looked very good in the matt black, & I feel that it brings the headlights into the year 2K.
                        Took the lights straight over to guys doing all of the work on my car prior to Billing.

Did not have time to take any pics, but I have a feeling that the rear covers will fit because the S6 elipsoid units are not as deep as the original S2 units.

Did you have any alignment problems ?

I have not checked to see if you are coming to Billing, but I am gonna be there on Sat. It will give an opportunity to compare notes.

Imran.

Comment

Well i had a few alignment problems lol, my fault though, took measurements of the positions of all the adjustment screws before i stripped them down which i then proceeded to loose doh! so had to start from scratch which was a bit of a PITA.
                          Luckily i still had my 3b lights so got basic settings from them. Then parked about 50m from a wall at night and set them that way. Passed the mot ok.

Dunno if i'll be at billing yet maybe just saturday but might be persuaded to stay and get ******

Comment

Working...
                          X