Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme HID Installation Question

Hi folks,

Finally purchased my set of extreme HID's yesterday and i must say what a cracking service by Martyn and the VAG Parts staff as the kit arrived today at 7am after ordering it on friday

Here's a picture of the full kit:
    Attached Files

My question is as you can see from the pic above the drivers side light ballast has a 1.5m lead

But the leads to power the ballast from the light are the same size.

Is everybodies elses kit the same?

And how did you get the lead to the drives side lamp, did you simply extend the original lead?

Thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

I could see this was a problem too, as soon as i looked at the kit. I just extended the wires to get them to the headlights. The trouble was I only had mains cable and couldn't wait to get them fittted! So I'll have to do them properly sometime.
      SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
        I could see this was a problem too, as soon as i looked at the kit. I just extended the wires to get them to the headlights. The trouble was I only had mains cable and couldn't wait to get them fittted! So I'll have to do them properly sometime.

Cheers mate, i'm installing right now as we speak, i bought some 16 awg cable to extend the power cable.

I better crack on!

Comment

NP. Just be thankfull you've got an ABY mate. I had to find somewhere to put the ballast packs. Still 3Bs can't be better for everything.
          SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
            NP. Just be thankfull you've got an ABY mate. I had to find somewhere to put the ballast packs. Still 3Bs can't be better for everything.

Wow is all i can say! the X Hid really kick ***, they pick up on paint work and license paints a mile off!!!!

Hopefully get some more night time driving in to get used to the extra power and take it down an MOT station just to allign the lights on the safe side.

One thing i will say is much sure the kits are earthed well!, i found a nice spot right next to the ballast mount where a screw stud is on the body.

If you looking for wire to extend to the drivers side light, Halfrauds do the perfect thing, it's 27amp red wire, it's the same 16 awg as the original wire and comes in a 2.5 Metre reel for about £2.50

Only other advise is by some ring terminals for the earth cables and jobs a good one.

Main beam is fine, no autocheck problem even when flash was held on for 20 secs!

Well done to Martyn can't praise this kind of customer service and workmanship enough
            Last edited by Jamo; 6 August 2005, 23:47.

Comment

Yeah. Almost forgot. Big thanks to Martyn.

I would've liked the high voltage cables to be about 100mm longer really, as it's a bit of a stretch.
              Still, as long as the cam cover doesn't wear through the cable. [joke]
              My Autocheck got upset as soon as I switched mine on. But i'll wait untill I wire them up properly before doing the K pin.
              I got my headlight allignment checked with my MOT not long ago. I haven't been flashed yet.

Oh yes. Number plates, road signs, the cops, metallic blue cars, badgers... These lights are great!
              SS

Comment

Well done Jamo. I should get mine up and running properly soon....
                The Perfectionist
                sigpic
                Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Here's something for you, my autocheck has been coming on recently with HID's but I found that my alternator belt was slipping, tightened the belt and no more autocheck.

That leads me to think that the check is being tripped by current draw and check you alternator belts are tight enough.

Comment

good tip, just reminded me that winter is coming and it'll be another year of cra*p candles withouth HID's really must do that after 8yrs of owning the car
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Oh my goodness HID's are £50-100 now days, really is a must have upgrade, I could not imagine driving without them again. I hate driving my golf without them

Comment

HID's are awesome when compared to the halogen's aren't they

Ill never forget stu's response when i gave him a call to ask if he had any ideas why my HIDs wern't working... "Just give give them a good smack with a hammer, sometimes they need 'waking up'"

The shocking thing is that hey worked absolutely perfectly after taking a hammer to them
                        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

David - i'll send you a link to where I'm getting my hid's from 32 quid delivered

Get a set for your fogs as well.

Comment

you can send me that link at that price, HID fogs here we come

Comment

J - you have mail

Comment

Working...
                              X