• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY Coupe Battery Information

Is this the right battery for a coupe:

Bosch Silver, 564 020 064

640A Cold crank, 64Ah

Can these be topped up? Don't want to break the plastic cover if it can't !

And does anyone know if Bosch have a 1, 2 or 3 year warranty on their battery?
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Sounds like the one I bought last May alright (412770070 from ECP).

Don't forget to use the fume vents under the rear seat - my Bosch Silver has the venting on either side. I'm 99% sure this is a sealed battery.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Same spec as the one I have Doug. Sounds like you need to replace it sooner than you thought?? I'd expect Bosch to be at least 2, maybe 3.
      Martyn
      -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
        Sounds like the one I bought last May alright (412770070 from ECP).

Don't forget to use the fume vents under the rear seat - my Bosch Silver has the venting on either side. I'm 99% sure this is a sealed battery.
        Yes , got it from Euro about 15 months ago and it isn't holding a charge(charging it out of the car)

What do you mean, use the fume vents? Are these the 2 4mm holes in the caps? What am I suppose to do with them?

Cheers

Comment

i bought a silver about 3 weeks ago and I am sure i read either on it or somewhere in the GSF brochure on in Autoexpress on their battery test thet they come with a 3 year guarantee.

A quick search on the web just confirmed it too:

http://www.rmcarspares.co.uk/acatalo...eries_981.html

HTH,

David
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Eurocarparts confirmed they have a 3 year warranty - all I do is take it in with the receipt and they will give me a new one.

Vents guys? (are there meant to be tubes plugging into these holes?

Comment

Doug,

the answer is yes, normally all the OE Audi batteries had a plug in the top side (edge) of the battery, so that you pulled the plug out and then stuck the right angled vent 'tube' in there. This then usually has a tube that goes outside the car somewhere to vent off fumes etc to atmosphere. If you havent got the right angled tube, its part number 171 971 913 about 50p. See Etka 915-10!
              Martyn
              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

If the battery doesn't have a vent it will fail in the S2 application under the rear seat.

Don't tell Euro Car Parts as your warranty would be void
                Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

mike can you explain last statement. how will it fail in the s2 app' under rear seat. i have a seealed unit is this ok ??? :eek2:
                  ako

Comment

Sealed unit probably means its just the wrong one for the S2, not sure if will be fine all the same. The one i had in mine before was a sealed one but had to have it replaced about 5months ago with one that has the vent connection
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

mmmmm thanks . gonna have to check that out . got it from euro parts supposed to be the correct one. is a bosch for sure . dont know about the vent holes tho . what is the reason for the vents anyway? why a vented battery?:wacked: :confused:
                      ako

Comment

because normally battery is under the bonnet so gases that are produced when the battery is charging can escape to atmosphere easily.

When its under the back seat they can build up in the compartment because no where for them to go without the vent
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

thanks greg , i suppose thinking about it for a battery thats vented, that should have been obvious. what i cant get my head round is why a sealed unit should fail if fitted . surley it will not matter ? or is there a reason why a vented unit HAS to fitted.:confused: :confused: re mikes earlier answer.
                          Last edited by akojacko; 22 November 2003, 11:25.
                          ako

Comment

I'm confused Martyn! Do I not need all the parts that are there: 6,7,8 (2 parts) and the right angle piece that sticks out the battery (that doesn't have a part no)?

I also have holes on both sides of the battery - do I need 2 sets of vent pipes?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Doug,

Etka is wrong on the parts listings for this! what you need is number 8 the grommet, then 9 the angled piece and two lots hose, no's 6+7. Etka has these described wrong! IE the angled piece number 8 on the diagram , is actually number 9 in the text!!

The reason for the two 'holes' on the battery is so that one battery fits all! IE some cars have the vent hose on the left of the battery, some off the right. You only need to use one side, which ever works best to the S2. You should have a hole , ie a grommet in the floor pan, to push the vent tube through.

Martyn
                              Martyn

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X