All you HID converts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you HID converts...

Well, as I have every other project on under the sun, may as well enquire about this one. Really I just wanted to ask, what it takes for a 3B HID conversion? I've read alot about this, and I understand it requires a stalk mod and the VAG Parts HID kit, but what else? Ellipsoids?

Anyone who'd BTDT please gimme an idea... I'll be at the garage meet looking for inspiration too

Of course, I've got my aero wipers, Short-shift kit, turbo, EM, rods, IC etc to buy first... if my car were a bird, it'd be a right dominatrix
    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

You'll need the elipsoid lights too mate. Quite a shopping list. Sounds like you've sourced some good suppliers tho. I'll have to catch up with you at the garage meet

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris M
      You'll need the elipsoid lights too mate.
      WRONG!

All you need is an H4 HID kit. They'll fit your existing lamps fine. Then you need to break a pin off the relay (don't remember which relay or even which pin) to disable the autocheck and you're laughing!

I did this on my Avant that had the older style H4 headlamps. Made a world of difference.
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Ok, so you don't need elipsoids but i'd look better
        Cheers,

Chris

Silver S2 Avant : Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chris M
          Ok, so you don't need elipsoids but i'd look better
          Only the best will do for the 'ol girl. What does it take to fit elipsoids? I'll be looking about at the garage meet.., I do like the look o the elipsoids, makes the car look newer. I really think I'm straining my eyes driving at night on the twisties... beams are great (not stock I assume, Chris? ) but as soon as you switch to the candles you may as well put a blindfold on.

Don't think it'll be financially viable to make this upgrade for a bit, but with this group buy the rods are gonna be a give-away and the credit card might be able to stretch that far... :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
            What does it take to fit elipsoids?
            About three hundred pounds
            Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
            England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

if you are about to use the H4 converters you ought to buy an electrical dipping mechanism for your lights as they tend to glare a bit more than the ellipsoids,plus it is european regulation to have it if you carry HIDs.Well actually you should also have headlamp washers as well for some reason but then again i dont anyone will ever tell you why you dont have the washers,but at least you can manage the height electrically and dont blind the opposite traffic

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
                What does it take to fit elipsoids?
                You'll also need the trims under the headlights form a '94> car.
                Or just hack off the inner mounts on the headlights, to retain the original one piece trim.
                SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
                  You'll also need the trims under the headlights form a '94> car.
                  Or just hack off the inner mounts on the headlights, to retain the original one piece trim.
                  I wondered how long before 4WDrifter would post on this

Comment

how much is this conversion?

Comment

Ross you can just slap in some H4 HIDs - that's what I've done (in fact I've got Sidspuds old kit!) and it works beautifully. I also changed the sidelight and main H1s to PIAA extreme bulbs which are slightly less yellow and colour match a little better to the much more blue-ish HIDs.

Total fit time took about 3 hours, and alot of that was fitting the other bulbs. It's an easy job and requires significantly less alteration and cost than swapping in the ellipsoid lamp units first.

In my car I've not even had to do the "autocheck spoof" mod of breaking off the relay as described above, although this is uncommon - most people find when changing to HIDs it freaks out the autocheck system which keeps flashing up that you've blown a bulb.

Initially I got a few "helpful" flashes from oncoming drivers occasionally but I've just made sure the headlight aim is slightly lower than normally required, and of course the S2 allows you to reduce the aim height further from inside the car if need be. Do you have headlamp washers? These help to reduce beam scatter which is a big issue with such bright lights as this again increases dazzle for on-coming vehicles.

Since fitting the HIDs, I'd never go back to a non-discharge-light car: the amount of extra light you get is dramatic - as you say you don't need to squint quite so much when pressing on in the dark.

I think the H4 HID kit is about £220 from VAGparts? If you go for Ellipsoids, you need to add at least that much again for the ellipsoid lenses.
                      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Hey Dan, you gonna be at the garage meet? I'd be interested to see how they look... £220 is real damn good; expected to fork out twice that! Still like the ellipsoids, but It'd be nice to see 'em both side by side.

Comment

Oh, yeah I have headlamp washers btw...

Are any other parts needed for the 'simple' (ie, non-ellipsoid) conversion? Would it be possible to do HIDs and then put ellipsoids in at a later date when I have spare cash and can be bothered? Or would that be "the wrong way round".

Could be another potential job for the garage meet here - the credit card still has a bit left to be squeezed out

I want Xenon power

Comment

Ross there is nothing wrong with the H4 3B HID kit. It looks smart and i've seen it on Dan's car and it's impressive.

Now if you've got the cash you can join the big boys ( ABY ) and have the Extreme HID kit which are superb!

Comment

So it's a different kit for the ABY than the H4? What's the difference?

Cheers
                              Ross

Comment

Working...
                              X