Battery drains out over 2 nights??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery drains out over 2 nights??

Hi i got some eletrical problems on my car.. the batery drains out over a night or 2.. does any one know what it can be thats draining it?? or is there a known fault on some components??
    ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
    2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
    2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
    2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
    kostic.nu

Battery drain over 1 or 2 nights is normally contributed to one or two things. At our garage we normally check that an interior light isn't on or the favourite a faulty boot light switch causing the boot light to stay on. On some S2's they had an engine bay light make sure this is ok. normally only works with side lights on.
    The other thing is a faulty alternator which shorts out and drains the battery when the car is turned off but actually charges when engine is running.
    Make sure your stereo/amp if non genuine isn't on.
    Failing that get your car to a garage and ask them to test your battery to see if it has a dead or failing cell. 6 cells = 2 volts per cell so if you have a cell down you won't start.
    HTH

Chris
    A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

One way is to measure the current draw at the battery.

Pull fuses until the current draw reduces significantly You should have identified which circuit is draining the battery.

One thing to watch out for with the S2. If the bonnet is open, the boot interior light will come on.
      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

battery is ok.. but i will try the fuse thing.. =)
        ABT C5 Lord Of The Rings
        2004 1/4 Mile ET 12.00 191Km/h @1,5Bar
        2009 1/4 Mile ET 11.92 213Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437WHp
        2010 1/4 Mile ET 11.45 110Km/h @ 1,5Bar 437Whp
        kostic.nu

Comment

Originally posted by zlobo
          battery is ok.. but i will try the fuse thing.. =)
          Don't forget the relays. Buy a multimeter, you will need one later to test other electrical problems, disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Place one electrode on the post and one on the cable. This will show the draw on the battery.

Disconnect the clock fuse and leave it out. Pull fuses one at a time until you find faulty section. If nothing from fuses, pull the relays one at a time. If nothing with the fuses, disconnect the large wire from the alternator and look for drop on multimeter.

It has to be one of thos things.

Greg
          They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

i had same problem, my battery was so dead the test could not tell me what state battery was in, so i bought a new one.. upon fitting it i realised the cabling was touching somewhere where it shoudnt causing drainage blah blah blah

needed new batt anyways..
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X