Clearing Airbag Fault Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearing Airbag Fault Codes

After 3 months the Airbag warning light came on again. Last time I took the car to a workshop to get the problem fixed. They checked the fault codes and something like "high electrical resistance in circuit" came up. They cleared the code, fiddled with the airbag connectors and wires and the problem went away. For three months that is.

As I now have an idea of where to look for the problem, I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself this time. I will however need to have the fault codes cleared to turn off the warning light.

Is it possible to clear the airbag fault codes without any diagnostics software (VAG-COM etc.)?

Would hate to have to take the car to the stealers...
    Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Yes - VAGCOM can clear that fault code easily... BUT of course you really need to solve the real cause of the problem or it will just come back. Just hope you don't ever need an airbag - ever !

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi Paul,

I know it is possible with VAG-COM, but is it possible to clear the codes without any software? I've understood that the engine fault codes can be cleared by pulling the ECU fuses or by disconnecting the battery. Is there a similar trick for the air bag fault memory?

Naturally I will have to fix the cause for the problem, but if I can't reset the codes I will not know if I have fixed the problem or not
      Markus

Comment

Airbag

Does the light stay on or does it go off after 15 seconds. Fault codes are
        stored in your ECU . Disconnecting either ECU or battery will have no effect. Fault codes could alter the mapping of your ECU and hence that is why this safe guard was designed. TRy contacting a private vw/audi garage
        cause the handheld only takes about 3-5 minutes.
        RS2 MTM

Comment

The light stays on. I went to the dealers and after a long wait the guy came out and cleared the codes free of charge. The code stored was the same as last time (="resistance too high" or somehting like that). The light stayed off for the rest of the day but came back on the next morning

I'm suspecting the spiral spring, but it's hard to know for sure. Well, I'm waiting for my own OBD2-cable now, so I will atleast be able to clear to codes myself.
          Markus

Comment

'Resistance to high' normally comes from a loose connector or the airbag slip ring (bit behind the steering wheel). Probably the slip ring considering the age of our cars.

4D0 951 543 D is the part number. Slip rings are a common fault on a lot of VWs around that age.

Ben
            the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
            1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Were talking about the same part, but I think it actually isn't a slip ring even though the family album calls it "return ring with slip ring".

From what I've heard and read it's supposed to be a spiral spring (like a clock spring) that connects to the airbag. There is a slip ring on the backside but its only there for the horn.

And for my early -94 the correct part nr. is actually 4A1 951 543 as I still have the old, uggly steering wheel.

I've taken apart and cleaned most of the connectors, so I'm afraid that the fault lies in that (rather expensive) "return ring with slip ring".
              Markus

Comment

Slip ring is what we call that assembly, but you are right the slip ring and the spring for the airbag are different.

Did you check the part number against your chassis number? The reason I ask is that ETKA works on model years not actual years. Although a very early -94 car is likely to be a 94 model year.

Model years run from august to august. i.e a car built in may 1994 is a 1994 model year, but a car built in september is a 1995 model year.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

Mine is actually a 10/93, but the model year is -94 according to the VIN. And I've also driven a MY 95 car with the newer 4 spoke steering wheel so I know how the newer one looks like. But I can still check the VIN number against the part number to be 101% sure.
                  Markus

Comment

You sound like your on the right track with it. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the model year/build date thing.

Sorry if I sounded like a know it all It's what comes from being a VAG partsman, you get to know all of ETKA's little foibles.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

No problem Ben. Extra confirmation on part numbers is never a bad thing.
                      Markus

Comment

Guys

Are the thing mentioned above valid for the 94 2,8 V6 coupe quattro aswell? The symptom is the same. The repair guy said something like close to 300 euro if I would wanna change the thing. I may be wrong though.

Gabor
                        Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Some update on this old thread:

After reseting the airbag fault codes several times just to have the fault return after a short while, I finally replaced this "return ring with slip ring". One final resetting of the fault codes with VAG-COM and now the fault code won't come back. Success. But not a cheap one, since the part is bloody expensive for such a simple looking kit.
                          Markus

Comment

Working...
                          X