rear diffrential lock problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear diffrential lock problem

rear diff lock does not engage, when i push the button, lamp goes on, but the green light and abs light does not come on.

what could be the problem???
    Cheers

Murat

I'd first check the vacuum feed to the actuator (under the rear seat). Pull off the vacuum line, and start the car. If you can't feel and suction when placing a finger over the end, then most likely the vacuum line on the back of the intake manifold is probably dislodged / frayed and leaking.

If the vacuum connection is ok both ends, then I'd check the cacuum line on the actuator on the rear diff, and also make sure the arm moves freely, and isn't seized.
    Never show a fool a half built house.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
    The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

Yeah, second that. Check the vacuum first. If you lift the seat (and carpet bit) you should be able to hear the actuator make a bit of a click noise when you press the diff lock button. Most often it's either a hole in the vacuum system or a seized up lever on the diff side.
      1995 RS2 Avant - Custom SS exhaust, Koni adjustables, Custom map, large grin ...

Comment

on high altidtitudes, ie when climbing a hill, it engages automatically, also on high speeds, when the altitude gets lower, it disengages.

strange huh???
        Cheers

Murat

Comment

Bringing back an old thread..

On my 90Q, when i pust the diff lock button, the button lights up but no other light comes on, is this normal for a 90?

Ive seen a pic in someones avatiar on here where there is a green light on the diff pic......

Comment

ABS light should come on when rear diff is locked...
            Paul Nugent
            Webmaster http://S2central.net
            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Button lights up when you press it, green light only comes on when the diff is locked. Sometimes you have to roll forward in a straight line before it engages.

If you never get a green light it isnt locking, or the bulb is blown
              91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
              93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
              94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

you can normally hear it engage, IME the bulb is often the culprit
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks for replys, i didnt notice the abs light come on?

Next time i drive it ill check, its parked up at the min.

The green light deffo didnt come on tho as i was looking for it.

Comment

Right, went out to move it tonight.

The green light does'nt come on no matter how slow i go and neither does the abs light(it does work tho) but, im sure the diff does work as when i drove in a small circle the car vibrated a bit more than normal.

Also found out a 10v bouncing of the rev limiter dont launch that well, GUTTED

Comment

Also found out a 10v bouncing of the rev limiter dont launch that well, GUTTED [/QUOTE]

does it in an s2? how do you do a flying start in an s2?

Comment

The 10v (kv) just bogged down after i side stepped the clutch, it was rather crap lol, id imagine an s2 would launch quite well.

Comment

Check the green vacuum tank behind the left rear "doorcard" for leaks (It´s there on a LHD coup´e anyway) I had similar issues with my incagelb S2 coupé and the tank had cracked.
                          Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Working...
                          X