Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another HID prob

Ok chaps..

Fitted my HID's no problem. When i powered them up for the first time on sidelights, the new HID bulb would flash like a strobe, called Bo and he suggested re-earthing the unit to the chasis, which i have done (rather than on the metal post on the bulb holder) still no joy, so then i remembered the mod that i did on the switch stalk, reverted it back to normal and as people have said, it cuts out the H1 ellipsoid when the full beam is switched on. So it seems to be when sidelights are on, there must be some sort of voltage because on my old candles, they used to glow dim, so maybe like 4 or 5 volts present, i havn't measured anything yet. I really need a circuit diagram to try and eliminate the voltage present when switched to slightlight. I wonder if i am picking it up on the switch stalk as i had big problems doing that mod as the hole which most people use was filled so i had to splice the large yellow cable onto the cable that was in that hole, brown and yellow...anyone know if this is the sidelight cable? and if so what do i do to get over the prob of H1 switching off on full beam..

cheers guys

here is the link to the post i made when i did the stalk mod

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15222
    Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

They should not turn on at all on sides. (I guess you know that )

I am not sure why you are getting some voltage at the dipped beams - now HID's on side lights. Have you tried disconnecting the yellow wire that you spliced in the previous thread you quote.

I do not have any wiring diagrams I am afraid, so I can't help any more. My only advice would be not to run the HID ballast units like they are at the moment or you are likely to do them some damage when they don't fire correctly.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

I think you've already answered your own question. Splicing in that wire for the dipped beam into the brown and yellow (which is obviously a sidelight feed) is causing some voltage to go to the ballasts when just the sidelights are on. Obviously not enough voltage for the ballasts to work correctly, hence the strobing and the ballasts shouldn't even be getting any current supply on just sidelights.. I'd do as Steve says, do not keep firing the ballasts like this. They'll give up SOON if you do.
      I'm afraid I have no wiring diagrams either.
      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
      2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
      1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Maybe putting both pics together will help sort a solution.

Yours
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
        2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
        1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

i havnt been using them on side only on main as i cant see any harm using it with main lights on as the correct voltage is there.

I did find out last night that with the ignition off, and side lights on, the sides come on but the HIDs dont strobe, if i turn ignition on, they strobe (before HID the ellipsoid would come on as a dim glow) so its getting the feed from the ignition....i wonder what would happen if i just cut the yellow and did not splice it into the brown yellow....worth a try as i've run out of ideas and without wiring diags there is no hope.

cheers anyway guys, you've pointed me in some sort of direction, will post back with results later today after i get some sleep from night shift
          Pearl white 91-S2-3B K&N cone air filter - Home made induction pipe work - 18" RS4 replica alloys - Yokohama Parada Spec 2 rubber - Colour coded body work - Bilstein/H&R suspension - s/s 3in turbo back Longlife exhaust - SFS water hoses - Samco boost hoses - RS2 FARB - RS2 eyeballs - Squeaky interior trim & 2 bar!

Comment

while were talking about voltages and HID, my drivers side HID is not as bright as my other side. is it because of the lengh of cable to one light?

The diference is quite big, i see one light on the floor when driving, and not the other (no its not poitning down more, difference is noticable when looking at the lights).

commin problem?

P.S. sorry to gate crash ur post.
            ABY Coupe
            sigpic

Comment

I hope you get that sorted out Matt, If you reverse the stalk mod and it stops the strobing when side lights + ignition is on then you know that this something to do with the mod, as you did also say that you had one extra wire hole 8 where normally there is none. (Correct me if im wrong )

I had the same strobing problem when headlights were on and you use the windscreen washers. However this was due to bad earthing.

@ Ski, How did you earth your HID's? Did you use the Kit form VAG parts? As far as i know other people have had different length cabales form blaster packs with out it affecting the brightness of there HID's.
              Have you tried swapping the packs round to see if the dimer light moves to the other side?

Ta.
              Bo
              91 S2 coupé - RIP
              98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Bo :

Its from vagparts yes. seems a new model as the wires were different colour than in the vag install manual.

Ive not tried swapping cables, I guess i should really.

Its earthed properly to a nut, which screws into the wing.

Ive heard of stories where the light with the long cable lights up slower, not not heard of anyone with my issue.

the light it self looks in a worse condition than the other light, could it be the componments inside?
                ABY Coupe
                sigpic

Comment

Update-

I have done the following.

Cut the yellow wire and left it cut not connected to brown/yellow and the HID's do not come on at all.

I then cut the brown/yellow and joined the yellow to one end, still nothing.

Connected yellow to other end of brown/yellow and HID's come on, but still strobe.

I really need a diagram as the HID is somehow getting a low voltage when the ignition is switched on, is this maybe daylight running!?

if i could find where the yellow is connected to this low voltage source i can cut it and all will be well, unless the normal 12v comes from that line too and its switching in some sort of resistance..

i did have the ignition barrel changed at audi a few months ago

bloody s2's

Comment

Right, confused now!

Just been measuring some voltages.

Disconnected the main yellow in the headlight which goes to the input of the ballast.

With sidelight switch on, there is 11.8v with main lights on, there is 11.8v as well. so why is the HID strobing when the correct voltages are there even when the sidelight is on, which i cant understand anyway.

ATM i have only earthed on headlight to the chassis, next step would be to earth the other to the chassis too. Also, what would happen if i disconnected the lug with two brown cables crimped to it where i originally earthed it...just a stab in the dark

Comment

Anyone got any elec diagrams for this issue? PLEASE!!! lol

Comment

Hi, sorry to hear all your problems with this one...
                        I have a 3B with HIDs, but I had already relayed the headlights to run more powerful bulbs in the original non ellipsoid headlights, then changed to ellipsoid when I did HID. I also had a wire already in the hole required for the stalk mod, I spliced it in and there was no problem at all, it worked fine. I guess this means it isn't the sidelight feed...
                        I see you have ellipsoids, so, I would try relaying the lights, to make absolutely certain of maximum voltage at all the correct points, and earth to a good earthing point. The positive feed is easy, as the alternator is not far away...!
                        If this does not sort out the problem then I would imagine there might be a problem with the switch.(hopefully not the loom)
                        HTH
                        Chris
                        Last edited by LHD_Kid; 3 September 2006, 16:28.
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life but I also have got the strobe effect on one ellipsoid (have not set up the other one yet) does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Comment

OK, does it do it with the side on and ignition off? If not, i suspect it is that the non elipsoids have a 'dim dip' facility which is essentially a large resistor that puts some power to the dipped beam while the sidelights are on along with ignition. I know my 80Q has this... In which case, unplug the resistor.

Hope this helps and hasnt already been posted!

Mike

Le Mans 2012
                            Nurburgring 700
                            1995 S2 Avant

Comment

@ Acidburn - Is your car an early 3B? s2_southwest's is. It might be some sort of wiring thing left over from 7As.
                              SS

Comment

Working...
                              X