Ignition Switch for 96 ABY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Switch for 96 ABY

Intermittent starting problem, sometimes it just clicks and doesn't start, take key out and back in and it starts up. Figured it must be the ignition switch. Can anybody confirm this is the part I need? 4A0905849A

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-S...8AAOSwstJZUVsb

Thanks guys
    1996 S2 ABY Silver

There are a few different part numbered versions which I don't think are interchangable so best to check what version you have. OEM were still available from the dealer last year too.

Comment

spot on. 96 invariably is dealer only. its for the transponder version. they look the same but are not. the
      non transponder is about a 5 er of ebay or ecp.

Comment

Sorted everyone, thanks for your inputs! Couldn't find anywhere except this link, fit and started up perfectly. Link for anyone who may need it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-S...53.m2749.l2649
        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Had the same issue for years. Will be fitting a button instead to save the switch

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
            Intermittent starting problem, sometimes it just clicks and doesn't start, take key out and back in and it starts up. Figured it must be the ignition switch. Can anybody confirm this is the part I need? 4A0905849A
            If you ask ETKA about 4A0905849A, it says it was dropped in 2002 in favour of a 4A0905849C

If you just ask for a 1996 Coupe quattro (including the S2), you get 4A0905849B. I do NOT know the difference between the 849C and the 849B. The 849B is now used on many older Audis.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

the difference is the location part shape off the barrel to the switch. it wont fit properly. its an almost. there. if you get the wrong part basically it jams up and wont turn.

btdt

Comment

on the subject of the clicking though the original post i had this on the audi when i put it back together. all looks good battery v etc.

try adding an extra temporary earth. see if it clears.

Comment

All good now Gazza, just got the ebay switch, fitted and no more issues now
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Sorted everyone, thanks for your inputs! Couldn't find anywhere except this link, fit and started up perfectly. Link for anyone who may need it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-S...53.m2749.l2649
                    is the one for a '95 ABY coupé the same?

I might need a new one depending on how well I get the f***ing aftermarker immo removed

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post

is the one for a '95 ABY coupé the same?

I might need a new one depending on how well I get the f***ing aftermarker immo removed
                      I can't be 100% sure to be quite honest, it may be as they are almost the same year +/- a few months but better to be sure first.
                      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

could anyone with ETKA pls check?

Comment

sometimes I think audi just have big buckets of bits and use whatever comes to hand. especially on s cars.

mine was a 96 aby. it had the immobiliser and had the costly ign switch. could not fignd it anywhere except audi. I changed the barrel and fitted the cheap starter. think it was 45 quid from audi or 5 quid from ecp. either way if you go gsf or ecp and order one only 1 type comes, the early type.

Comment

All good now Gazza, just got the ebay switch, fitted and no more issues now
                            Was there any noticable damage to your old one?

Just fitted a new one to my 95 S2 avant and my key won't turn in the barrel even though it looks identical to the original. The number on the original fitted to my car is 4A0905849.

This is the one i bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S2-B4...72.m2749.l2649

Apologies in advance if that link seems not to work, but it's supposedly suitable for my car 4A0905849

Think i will try the one you bought

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Yes upon removal there was a piece of plastic which was broken off partially and that was most likely the issue. I would say probably the one you got is the other version ending in B and you need the one just like I bought which seemed to do the trick
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                              X