Best way to wire in electric seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to wire in electric seats?

Electrics isn't my strong point unortunately. So I'm in process of fitting D2 recaro seats in my C4. I didn't have electric seats before so I don't have any wiring etc to connect to. What would be the best way to connect the seats straight to battery maybe? What size fuse should I have? I'll be leaving heated seats out for now, but I'd like full adjustment hooked up for obvious reasons.

any help appreciated.

'93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
    '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
    '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

I'd use wire to wire them in, I once tried string but it didn't work.
    I'm in the process of doing the same. I've bought a fuse relay from ebay. My plan is to fit it in the rear quarter or under the seat and take a feed straight from the battery and through the fuse in the relay. I will then find an ignition positive and use this to trigger the relay so the seats are only live when the ignition is on.
    I think i'm going to try a 10 amp fuse and see how it goes, other than the kids playing with them they won't get adjusted much.
    I also bought some loom tape from ebay to wrap it all in and will take my time to route it nicely.

Comment

Haha, that might explain why my seats don't work

That sounds like a good idea to have it relayed rather than have it on at all times. Did you get something like this?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-12V-30A...AAAOSw9idaRIlZ
      '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Yeah that's the one. Just seemed like a neat solution as it stands alone and prevents the seats from being powered all the time.

Comment

The circuit is really easy. Take a feed from the L30 spades under the fuse board, split into two and add a 30A thermal fuse inline, then take this to each seat as your +12v. Then just take an earth back to the earth posts under the dash that the other harnesses use.
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            The circuit is really easy. Take a feed from the L30 spades under the fuse board, split into two and add a 30A thermal fuse inline, then take this to each seat as your +12v. Then just take an earth back to the earth posts under the dash that the other harnesses use.
            I didn't know they were there, are they ignition positives?

Comment

This is indirectly related, so not a complete hijack.

Do the S8 D2 seats the floor of the C4 without any modification from a physical point of view ?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by montyrs2 View Post

I didn't know they were there, are they ignition positives?
                The L30 terminals are +12v, I believe they are all permanent rather than switched but would need to check - this is where the factory electric seats are fed from
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

L30 terminals?

Originally posted by macspring View Post
                  This is indirectly related,
                  so not a complete hijack.

Do the S8 D2 seats the floor of the C4 without any modification from a physical point of view ?

Thanks.

Not even close Track is about 10cm wider. So I cut up base from my manual seats to make one for D2 ones.
                  '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

The L30 terminals are +12v, I believe they are all permanent rather than switched but would need to check - this is where the factory electric seats are fed from
                    Seems odd that they would be a constant feed, but none the less it's a nicer place to take the power from than a ring terminal on the battery, I may still push it through a fused relay though just for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by hunker7 View Post

Not even close Track is about 10cm wider. So I cut up base from my manual seats to make one for D2 ones.
                      So do the oem C4 electric seats unbolt from their base, or do you need to butcher / destroy the actual seat base to obtain a stripped metal seat base ?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post

So do the oem C4 electric seats unbolt from their base, or do you need to butcher / destroy the actual seat base to obtain a stripped metal seat base ?

Thanks.

Mine were manual. So I butchered my seat bases to use for S8 seats. As for front end of the seat, if you already have electric seats it can be done easier than mine using the same holes with adapter plates.
                        '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

Working...
                        X