Tracker recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracker recommendations

Hi all - I am required to add a vehicle tracker to satisfy my insurers for my RS2. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about having one but wanted to see if there are any recommendations from owners as to which company is best to go with? It needs to be class 5 so an imported eBay style tracker is not going to cut it unfortunately!
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks,
    R

We fit these to bikes and cars at our company they are very good
    https://www.datatool.co.uk/motorcycl...kingadventure/

Comment

Thanks - wonder if they're Thatcham "class 5"?

It sounds like the only thing that varies between the different brands is the quality of customer service... Are Datatool easy to deal with?

Comment

I'd look for a second opinion on insurance policies, to tell the truth.

Something about giving GPS data to my insurer doesn't sit right... what's to stop them from pulling data about how fast you've been getting from point A to B, what time of day you're driving (rush hour or not) or even how many miles you're covering on average, etc?

Otherwise, you might like a LoJack vehicle recovery system:
        https://www.lojack.com/
        Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
        2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
        2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
        1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
        1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I know what you mean. But how would they do that? All I'm providing them is proof that one is fitted to the car.
          ​​​​​​

Comment

I guess it depends on the system and insurance company, I use a system that only I have access to, various installs available. I would not give anyone access...other than my wife!!

I have one unit that is Satellite based (Iridium) due to lack of cell service occasionally and then a couple of cellular phone based units for cars.

Insurance doesn’t give a discount but they give me good peace of mind for quick recovery.

I’m in Canada so More a North America tracking but I’m sure there are options available in your area. Lots of units that plug into OBDIi ports but I haven’t seen anything that plugs into an RS2 port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            1991 S2
            2003 RS6

Comment

Originally posted by richardg View Post
              I know what you mean. But how would they do that? All I'm providing them is proof that one is fitted to the car.
              ​​​​​​
              On this side of the pond there are advertisements for insurance companies offering discounts to plug a device into the OBD-II port to monitor your driving habits and offer a discount to "safe" drivers. That sort of Orwellian oversight gives me the heebeejeebees. Sorry, but I assumed it was something similar in your case. Definitely interested in seeing more trackers available on the market.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Tracker is good. It's the only UK based system that pays for tracking devices to be installed in Police patrol vehicles. Tracker also back this up with a few of their own vehicles. The unit is only activated when the vehicle is reported stolen so you don't have to worry about your insurance watching you! It's not 100% fool proof (is anything?). Clever thieves will look for the device before the car has been reported stolen and deactivate it. I've even heard of someone using a lead lined garage to hide stolen vehicles in!
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks all. I'll look at Tracker and DataTool. I'd like to use a VHF type system (LoJack?) but I don't believe police cars are fitted with a 'standard' system so there's only a low probability that it will actually be useful...

Comment

Hi.
                    If it's of any help we recommend these for security. That might be able to offer some advice for a suitable system for your type of vehicle.
                    http://gapsecuritydirect.co.uk/
                    Regards,
                    Dan.

Comment

I ended up going with a Meta Trak S5 VTS.

Apparently the Thatcham classifications are all changing at the end of the year; Class 5 & 6 are being merged into a new one (called S5) which means if you're considering installing a tracker now it may be sensible to wait until the new classifications are published as you may be able to opt for the S5 which is cheaper than class 5 but has almost the same features.

The only thing I'm not massively happy with is the driver tags that come with it but these can be deleted on demand. Otherwise Meta Trak have been helpful and decent to deal with. Cost for the installation was about £400 including one year of subscription. I think renewal is £100 but it may be £150 PA.

Comment

Working...
                      X