Autocheck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocheck

My autocheck has failed, I think. It has become sure that anything over 3k rpm, my oil pressure is poor (it isn’t, 4.5bar). I tested my old 1.8bar switch, which was faulty. So fitted a new one and it’s exactly the same. Switch is now working.

looking at the wiring, the switch is directly wired to the dash cluster. Anyone else had a similar issue?
    sigpic
    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
    Audi UR Quattro
    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Yes, often, there is an inline connector in the loom towards the back of the engine, I am convinced that is the problem.

It is intermittent, often going away completely in summer for months, and reappearing in wetter cooler weather.

I keep meaning to replace it but never got round to it yet.

There's also a second switch on the pressure sender for the gauge, which can fail, this is 1.8 bar, test here too...

Also check the connections and replace if at all flaky.

Problem is the signal is logic level stuff to the mini/autocheck, so any stray signals can set it off, if even for only a moment.

Comment

Both switches pull to earth, so start by disconnecting both to see if the problem goes away - if so its the switch.
      Next try the two round T8 connectors at the back of the engine bay (the ones in their own bracket on the right with the convoluted boots). Again, disconnect and see if your problem goes away, also check for corrosion etc.
      Finally, you can check the interface between the Autocheck and the gauge cluster board - there are several long pins which connect the two when assembled - check there is no corrosion or fur here. You can also take a look on the board for dry solder joints (quite common). If all else fails, the Autocheck unit can have an internal fault - I've never disassembled one but would suspect again a dry solder joint.

HTH
      Alex
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
        Yes, often, there is an inline connector in the loom towards the back of the engine, I am convinced that is the problem.

It is intermittent, often going away completely in summer for months, and reappearing in wetter cooler weather.

I keep meaning to replace it but never got round to it yet.

There's also a second switch on the pressure sender for the gauge, which can fail, this is 1.8 bar, test here too...

Also check the connections and replace if at all flaky.

Problem is the signal is logic level stuff to the mini/autocheck, so any stray signals can set it off, if even for only a moment.
        It’s a permanent fault
        sigpic
        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
        Audi UR Quattro
        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Sounds like the second switch on the pressure sender then, or a permanent wiring fault.

Comment

Working...
          X