Headlight bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight bulbs

Can anyone suggest any bulbs other than the h7 type that might be better for brightness etc it’s the dip beam light
    thanks

Do you have ellipsoid front lights? If so, go with an aftermarket HID kit. It is like night and day. (seriously!)
    The Perfectionist
    sigpic
    Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks for that, I have the lights with the magnifying lens, are they called ellipsoid....
      are these the ones you mean H7 white 6000k HID xenon bulbs
      thanks

Comment

Update....after checking the bulb from my lights, I think someone has already done the update
        my removed bulb is
        35W8000k HIV

Comment

Yep, drop to 6000k and it will be a whiter light, yours will have more colour in them i expect...blue tinge? I also cleaned the glass lenses, the outer glass and the ellipsoid dome and there was a fair bit of dirt on them.
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi again
            I'm having a little trouble trying to buy a replacement bulb/s which are 35w. 8000k hid
            can't the manufacturer on the parts but it appears to show CHIF110240 on the ballast unit.
            I know
            ​​​​​​I'm willing to try the 6000k as a pair but Halfords and a couple of local shops do not have the parts.
            question....who or where on the internet can you you trust a good parts.
            cheers for any help thanks.

Comment

Hi, not wanting to be too blunt but just helpful and cutting to the chase........

Don't waste your time trying to buy separate HID bulbs, just buy a new complete HID kit it is cheaper.

But to be honest, HIDs lights have been totally eclipsed by LED bulbs. Drive a 2020 car at night with them and you'll 'see'.

So to have 2020 'quality' lights on our S cars with ellipsoid headlights buy an LED H1 kit for both the main beam headlights and also the full beam headlights. They light and extinguish instantaneously for the main beam and also more importantly do so when using the full beam to signal to another driver or when being used on a country road with an constant intermittent flow oncoming vehicles.

Also as mentioned by a previous poster it is well worth taking apart your headlights and cleaning the 'magnifying' glass but don't touch the reflector shell as given it's age it'll lose it's 'silver', just blow on it or use a gentle airline. Only take apart your headlights if you're very confident or can practice on a broken headlight beforehand. YouTube may throw up something to assist you if you're lucky.

Others may wish to share their experiences with LED bulb kits which would help you to decide.

HTH.

Comment

Massive thanks for the info
                i will be looking at the leds as you’ve mentioned

Comment

When it comes to LED bulbs... For heavens sake do NOT buy the attractively priced crap from China. They will not produce a good beam pattern as the LED part will not be in the correct place to work with the reflector. The LED has to be in the same place as the filament in the good old fashioned bulb the reflectors started out life with.

Philips do excellent bulbs which in a h4 reflector totally represent the beam pattern without any of the scatter which dazzles oncoming motorists. Ever been dazzled by idiot boy racers in rubbish hatchbacks and wondered why?

I used a set of excellent correctly designed LED bulbs in my old SAAB, they reproduce the 'old car' yellow lamp colour but with more output and less draw on the old alternator. Crucially there was only improvement in the beam pattern and the dip beam cut off was perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                    When it comes to LED bulbs... For heavens sake do NOT buy the attractively priced crap from China. They will not produce a good beam pattern as the LED part will not be in the correct place to work with the reflector. The LED has to be in the same place as the filament in the good old fashioned bulb the reflectors started out life with.

Philips do excellent bulbs which in a h4 reflector totally represent the beam pattern without any of the scatter which dazzles oncoming motorists. Ever been dazzled by idiot boy racers in rubbish hatchbacks and wondered why?

yes, fully agree on that Steve. I put a Philips H7 LED set in my mother's Octavia, stunning quality, beam patern very sharp, and true white, and a huge improvement in the amount of light.
                    afaik they are not sold over here, but they are road legal in asia (Japan, Indonesia) so I bought them from a reputable supplier on fleebay.

Comment

We're they the Phillips extreme ultinon bulbs? Seems like they may be more available here in the UK now. Your results seem to be as favourable as all the other reviews.

Mine are not Phillips but close enough in design to work well. I really like the 'instant' light. They also only draw 2.5amps total which is important when your alternator is a 35amp output!

Comment

Hi thanks for the info
                        found these they look the part and they sound like the best of the good
                        https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...nversion-9-32v

Comment

Originally posted by quattro estate View Post
                          Hi thanks for the info
                          found these they look the part and they sound like the best of the good
                          https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...nversion-9-32v
                          They look a decent price and get good reviews

Comment

I'd be very interested in seeing the results and hearing your opinion of these if you decide to install them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                              I'd be very interested in seeing the results and hearing your opinion of these if you decide to install them.
                              Me too, there was a thread from a few years back about LED headlight bulbs in S2 projector lamps and I think it wasn't plain sailing??
                              Will try and find thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X