After Market Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Market Cruise

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket CC to their S2?

I've come across the Rostra branded 250-1223 and I think it should fit an ABY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172776494442

Any thoughts, opinions or reccomendations?

A while back I got a sistem from another Audi 80 and fitted with some fabrication and worked as should and looked OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by psiconauta911 View Post
      A while back I got a sistem from another Audi 80 and fitted with some fabrication and worked as should and looked OEM.
      I managed to buy all the OEM NOS parts from Audi West London around 15 years ago and fitted them following the Haynes wiring diagram. The physical install is OK but it doesnt activate as I am not 100% on my wiring connections. Where did you take the main power feed from and did you have a wiring diagram? Thanks for any info. Paul PS I am also still looking for the actuator link mounting bracket Part No 21 here for the KV designation http://www.catcar.info/audivw/?lang=...OTA3MTAxNDE%3D

Comment

Originally posted by predding View Post

I managed to buy all the OEM NOS parts from Audi West London around 15 years ago and fitted them following the Haynes wiring diagram. The physical install is OK but it doesnt activate as I am not 100% on my wiring connections. Where did you take the main power feed from and did you have a wiring diagram? Thanks for any info. Paul PS I am also still looking for the actuator link mounting bracket Part No 21 here for the KV designation http://www.catcar.info/audivw/?lang=...OTA3MTAxNDE%3D
        It was long ago and I don´t remember but I used a wiring diagram from the Bentley manual (identical to the haynes one) and used a power feed behind the steering wheel, as for the bracket I fabricated one-

Comment

This article explains how to fit "factory fit" cruise control to a S2. It's in German so use Google translate. There are 10 and 12 pin versions of the controller, eBay.com is the best place to find them as Audi's of that generation in the US had cruise control fitted as standard more often. The controller, vacuum pump and actuator are all standard Hella parts fitted to a range of 80's/90's cars such as Range Rovers and Volvos.

The only part that's unique to the S2 is the mounting bracket for the vacuum actuator. Don't know if it's still available from Audi but it's just a flat steel plate with one bend so easy to make your own.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by johne View Post
            This article explains how to fit "factory fit" cruise control to a S2. It's in German so use Google translate. There are 10 and 12 pin versions of the controller, eBay.com is the best place to find them as Audi's of that generation in the US had cruise control fitted as standard more often. The controller, vacuum pump and actuator are all standard Hella parts fitted to a range of 80's/90's cars such as Range Rovers and Volvos.

The only part that's unique to the S2 is the mounting bracket for the vacuum actuator. Don't know if it's still available from Audi but it's just a flat steel plate with one bend so easy to make your own.
            Oh wow I didn't know it was fitted to other cars, that's interesting.

I'd definitely like the OEM one, but the aftermarket one just seems much easier, but I do like things being standard.

More research it seems.

Comment

I remember that the OEM I got was really easy to install it took me no more than an afternoon .

Comment

Am i right in saying it will be the same process (as in the pdf) for a 2.6v6?
                Time waits for no man. Unless that man is Chuck Norris.

Comment

Process is the same, the only part that'll be different is the bracket to attach the vacuum throttle actuator to the engine.

Comment

A bit off at an angle, but I recall retrofitting cruise control to a very early (December 1998) Ford Focus and it was a very similar process and not at all difficult, apart from finding convenient routes for the wiring between engine bay and cabin.
                    Again that was an option "available" in other markets but I think not sold in the UK, at least not initially, so used all OEM parts and was actually available as a "kit". I think that too used a generic Hella controller.
                    It was a manual car so there was an extra switch to mount on the clutch; can't recall if it used the existing brake switch, probably did.

Comment

There has to be a switch connected to the brake for safety reasons to disengage the throttle. On the Audi there is a dual vacuum and electrical switch on both the brake and clutch pedals on manual cars. Mounting holes for the switches are already in the pedal housing. The switch unit is the same for both pedals.

Comment

Thanks John, that is really helpful. I am going to go back and check my install esp the electrical feed cos it doesnt work

Originally posted by johne View Post
                        This article explains how to fit "factory fit" cruise control to a S2. It's in German so use Google translate. There are 10 and 12 pin versions of the controller

Comment

Working...
                        X