high beams not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high beams not working

My high beam lights have stopped working. Fuses 8 and 9 are not blown and are in good nick (i did change them just in case) My low beams do work but when I switch to high beam not only do they not work but my low beams go off leaving me with just my park lights and fogs.

I have changed the light switch on the steering column for a known working one and still no joy. I also checked the bulbs and they are in great shape

Any one any ideas?? Is there a realy somehwere that might need changing?

Thanks
    Quattro Man!

forgot to say car is an 89 coupe quattro 20v
    Quattro Man!

Comment

Yeah would imagine its the relay, but dont know which one, sorry!

Saying that, in my "trusty" Hanynes manual for my 2.0 i cant even tell where my relay is, but would imagine they have one, anyone else able to cleat that up?!

It is possible to be a wireing fault, but would say the relay is more likely, and easier to check!
      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

When you say light switch I presume thats the one's that put the lights on and not the one with the indicators on which switches main beam on, tbh i'd say it is something to do with that if you have not tried one. I had this before on mine.

Comment

yes i replaced the stalk with the indicators and lights on it with a known working one - still no joy

any idea where the relay is located and whch one???
          Quattro Man!

Comment

also when i flash the headlights the high beam doesnt work and low beams will go off
            Quattro Man!

Comment

im assuming a relay so can anyone tell me which relay and where it is located??
              Quattro Man!

Comment

Originally posted by eamo View Post
                im assuming a relay so can anyone tell me which relay and where it is located??
                Oddly enough, I don't think there is a relay for the headlights IIRC although the x-relief is part of the cct. There is a relay for the bulbs autocheck and one for the front fog lights. I'll check poperly when I get a chance.
                Last edited by Nuvo; 22 October 2007, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by eamo View Post
                  Fuses 8 and 9 are not blown and are in good nick (i did change them just in case)
                  What about fues 10 and 11? I'm not sure if these are high or lowbeam cct.

EDIT: S10 and S11 are low as expected.

Comment

There ain't no relay for the headlights - strange but true. Some suggestions -

Check Fuses 8, 9, 10 and 11 - High beams on 8 and 9 though.

On the light switch itself check that you get good +12V on the red wires - key on or off.

Fault could be with main light switch or the main/dip switch - check that you get 12V on the 56a and 56b terminals of the main/dip switch. 56a should be white/black for main beam and 56b is yellow for dipped.
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

nice one Paul

56a/b terminals - these are on the light stalk itself??
                      Quattro Man!

Comment

Yes.

56a--> white/black 2.5 mm² wire
                        56b--> yellow 2.5 mm² wire
                        Last edited by Nuvo; 23 October 2007, 11:29.

Comment

'awg' - I think you'll find thats American Wire Guage !!!!!

ALL of the Audi wiring diagrams give the cable dimensions in squared mm (mmsq) - the world is Metric except North America...
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Doh! What was I thinking. That would make for some meaty wiring if it were .
                            Fixed my above post.
                            Last edited by Nuvo; 23 October 2007, 11:46.

Comment

Working...
                            X