This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
    Two pics attached with a highlight of the relevant area on the fusebox... Those two ring terminals (top left we can call A with the white wire and one below called B with green visible) collect the K & L wires from ECU (and other controllers)... These link to the white OBD plug.

Note the text on the fusebox sticker which clearly shows this - no schematic required.

The two ring terminals are such that we have -

A (top left) is the L-wire
    B (below it) is the K-wire

The white OBD plug is wired such that pin 1 (inboard) is L-wire and pin2 is K-wire.
    So what is the black 2-pin connector for then when using VAGCom as it seems to have +/- 12V?

My lead is the normal 2x2 connector and I always plug in both but I assumed that the power for the dongle came from the PC. Does this mean we only need to plug in the white connector?

Cheers n

Si
    95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
    Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
    With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Indeed the black plug with 12V supply was originally to supply juice to the code reader gizmo... Well more correctly into the interface adapter which sits between code reader (now a PC) and car. The serial port on the PC would be destroyed by the voltages on the K & L pins - the adapter box/cable is powered off the car to transform into something PC friendly.

You can try plugging white cable only into VAGCOM but I'd be confident that it wont work - wont damage anything either as long as you have conversion cable/adapter into the PC (via RS232 or USB).
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Old thread resurrection

So the preferred solution to this is to run a 2x2 directly into the car from the fuse box? Then just hook up the normal 2x2/OBD -> usb cable from the comfort of the passenger seat?

The cable 6K0 970 070A doesn't seem to be long enough to run into the car from the fusebox to present a nice OBD plug inside.
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

I moved mine to the glovebox too. I just found an old Audi 80 in a scrap yard and cut the two diag plugs off it, you could use the OBD socket instead from any car, really dosent matter. Either way you will need a good length of wire to make the run.
          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

cool mod and one thats now on the list
            NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Working...
            X