Parts for Hid's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts for Hid's

now that ive got some ellipsoid lamps im wanting to make a Hid kit. Was at a scrap yard yesterday looking at all sorts of newish cars that have projector lamps, lots of bmw's new golfs etc, what bits would i need? because i couldnt see any ballasts anywhere, there was an A4 which had some funky projectors, where are the ballasts on A4's? would it have any?
    i remember darren saying at the garage meet that omegas have very good ballast units, i saw a couple of them too but couldnt find anything.
    most of the bulbs were H7, what are these compared to H4/H1?
    i'm not that clued up on electrics

cheers
    martin

H7's are just standard halogen bulbs like H1's but with a 2 pin base.

Almost all VAG cars with HIDs have the ballasts on the back of the headlight (or inside it). I would imagine the same is true for most other manufacturers as well.

Ben
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I've seen a A6 lenses + ballast setup on s2. Look amazing!

And i've heard of A8 setup aswell.
      Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

i wasnt really looking inside the lamp so could have missed it then, dont really know what they look like:wacked:

Comment

try searching out where these ballast's originate from. Part no is shown in the auction pictures. using these ballasts would make a very tidy install.
          .EBay HID link

the metal retainers that is used on this for the HID OE type lamp are sold on ebay for about £5 too so they are quite cheap.

On mine I got my ballasts from a pair of new A6 headlamps from an audi breakers up north and H1 bulbs from CA Automotive and I have since wired the ballasts onto a seperate relay'd cct. Only problem is i still get the bulb warning come up.

Greg
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Instructions for lobotomising the headlamp warning module on the UrS4/S6 can be found here: http://www.urs4.com/technical/headlights.html

It might be the same for the S2.. but I don't have my ETKA handy so I can't check..
            1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
            Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

just found these on ebay if someone is doing the HID's themselves.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=44313

Greg
              Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S

Only problem is i still get the bulb warning come up.

Greg
                You have to take the "lights on" feed directly from the steering column switch. This way it passes the AutoCheck system. It's the uppermost yellow rather thick wire that you have to cut and connect directly to the relay. (Disclaimer: on my 91 car, better to check it with DMM before cutting)
                -

Comment

All you have to do to get rid of that warning is to pull out the autocheck relay and twist off the K-marked pin and then put the relay back on it's place. And more annoing beebing caused by the headlights...Jarip

This is an easy way of modifying the sensor relay, the other way is to follow the details on 20V.org.

David

Comment

My thanks goes too, guys.

I am also in the phase of installing the xenon kit to the coupe. The kit is what the TT would have from factory. It is plug and play. I'll put up a photo in some days. I assume I'll have the same problems with the warning light. I'll try to manage that the way you described above.
                    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Insect
                      All you have to do to get rid of that warning is to pull out the autocheck relay and twist off the K-marked pin and then put the relay back on it's place. And more annoing beebing caused by the headlights...Jarip

This is an easy way of modifying the sensor relay, the other way is to follow the details on 20V.org.

David
                      Where do I find this relay on my Avant?
                      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

this is nicked from http://www.20v.org/light.htm#autocheck with acknowledgements

The unit in question is located in the auxiliary relay panel, under the dash. Middle row, first on the right (position #6), looks like a standard Hella relay.

HTH

David

Comment

Gents:

How to disable the autocheck for the low beams:
                          http://members.aol.com/c1j1miller/bo...ight%20monitor

I took even an easier route and bent the 1/8 inch relay pin 90 degrees and reinserted the relay - no jumper wires needed.

-Peter
                          Peter S

1990 ErsatzS2 - track toy
                          1991 Coupe Quattro
                          1991 Coupe Quattro
                          1995 S6 Sedan
                          1995 S6 Wagon

Comment

thanks for the link greg, just what i was looking for, a good price i think too, so ive just bought it

martin

Comment

Hi Martin, good luck with the project.

I assume you have the later H1 headlamps. Let us know how you go on.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X