Fuel Gauge Indicating full in error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge Indicating full in error

Anyone had any problems relating to the fuel gauge? Mine took a fit over the weekend on a long drive down to Dumfries and now reads right off the scale. Must have a had a fit at the 28mpg average.....

I'm assuming that it's giving full scale deflection on the meter. Is FSD @ 0v or 12v ?

If that is the case, I'm hoping it's a open or shortcircuit rather than a defunct sender......

Any info would be much appreciated

thanks.

Raymond
    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
    1987 CQ85RS
    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Ray, don't know if it's anything to do with it but there is a link on the www.20v.org site. It talks about re-calibrating the tank level on empty, may have had something to do with that.

I will try to find the fuel tank sender to see if it is resistance on empty or full.

David

Comment

A friend of mine had this problem with his Passat and I had it with an A6 .... as a result of bad fuel! We had both used BP - after 2 tanks of Shell the guages started working again. I don't have a technical explanation for this though. Try a tank of different fuel and see if it goes away?
      1995 Silver S2 (ADU) Coupe
      2006 Porsche 997 Carrera S
      2006 Misano Red RS4
      2004 VW Touareg V8
      2007 Golf Mk1 Race Car
      2004 Mercedes Benz Vito 112CD

Comment

Hear this.

My V6 coupe had the same, and it turned out that there is a faulty cold soldering on the printed circuit of the gauge board back with a bad connection ot the gauge supply voltage regulating diode. But since this connection supplies the water temp gauge aswell, the water temp gauge was cheating, too. Gauge board removed, soldering corrected, gauges OK since.

Cheers
        Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Eventually got round to taking the instrument cluster out. Not good news, not fatal, but not good.

The gauge operates on a bi-metallic strip with a coil wound round it. So when the ignition is switched on, the strip heats up and gradually finds its way to the correct fuel level (hence the S2 slow rising fuel gauge).

Mine for some reason overheated and burnt itself onto the plastic backing, causing the gauge to vary wildly and then disconnect from the needle. I manged to gingerly pull the embedded hot wire from the plastic backing intact. The gauge is now up and working but will need to be re-calibrated.

Thanks for the link David, the tank now only shows half full, so I can recalibrate this weekend

cheers,
          Raymond
          1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
          1987 CQ85RS
          1994 S2 Avant- Gone
          1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
          Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
          Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Originally posted by raymor
            Thanks for the link David, the tank now only shows half full, so I can recalibrate this weekend
            It depends if you are a pessimist or an optimist, whether it is half full or half empty!

Glad to be of help.

David

Comment

Working...
            X