Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with auto climate control, schematics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I've changed the switch and besides making the turning the key feel much much tighter nothing else changed

Still no trip computer, dash clock nor AC controller functioning.

Relief relay next or what else could I check?

@ManiacuV6: So that is a definite? Is that the only way the X-relay could fail?
    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

Originally posted by k.alle View Post
      So, I've changed the switch and besides making the turning the key feel much much tighter nothing else changed Still no trip computer, dash clock nor AC controller functioning. Relief relay next or what else could I check? @ManiacuV6: So that is a definite? Is that the only way the X-relay could fail?
      Well, the good news is you have saved your starter from damage when the previous ignition switch failed (and it was going to, for sure, just a matter of time).

At this point, I think you need to pull the 213 Load reduction/Relief relay and examine it (open it up (small tabs hold the cover on)), looking for fused electrial points). And/or trying a know to be good used 213.

It's the one in the dark, behind the spare fuses, 10 o'clock position from the gray 214 Speed 1 fan relay (the one triggered by the after-run pump control module):

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Fuse box photo showing the "213" 50 Amp relief relay in position 5 is from an RS2. The PN on that relay should be 8D0951253 as an A80Q (B4) variation. I thought the relief relay would be the same in an S2 coupe (B3) but the answer is no, it is a 357906381B 70 amp relay (still in postion 5). As it happens, this is the full speed fan relay for the UrS4/S6s as a "217" in postion 3 in the under-hood/bonnet relay and fuse box as detailed here:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/152019.phtml

Comment

Thank you UrS4boy, I have removed the relief relay.

Part nr on relay: 443951253J
          Specification: 60A 12V

I have measured resistance across the terminals:

30 -> 85 = Infinite
          30 -> 86 = Infinite
          30 -> 87 = Infinite
          85 -> 86 = 59.7 Ohm
          85 -> 87 = Infinite
          86 -> 87 = Infinite

There is a schematic on the side of the relay, is my values OK if that is possible to say looking at the schematic?

It does not buzz (don't know what it is called) across any terminals, not even 85 -> 86.

Attached a picture on how it looks from underneath, it seems nearly impossible to open without it breaking. Any pro tips on that?

EDIT

Found a better schematic of it

Seems that my values is correct, but perhaps resistance measuring isn't going to give me any answers?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by k.alle; 24 June 2013, 20:46.
          Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes

Comment

Thank you UrS4boy, I have removed the relief relay.
            Part nr on relay: 443951253J Specification: 60A 12V. I have measured resistance across the terminals. Attached a picture on how it looks from underneath, it seems nearly impossible to open without it breaking. Any pro tips on that?
            Hmm...the 443951253J was used in the 1985 A10Q as fan relay. It was also used in the 1996 A6 (non-quattro as the relief relay). It might work in your vehicle but it is under the 70Amp spec listed for the ACOQ S2 relief relay.

Typically the covers on those relays snap on and are held by small tangs. Gentle prying with jeweller's screw drivers?

Comment

Hmm I see, well it was (according to Kate) replaced with 8d0951253 which seems to be 70A relay. Perhaps a neat "upgrade"?

Well, i did try but I think i will ruin it. Those rounded corner seems to hold it together there is electrical "components" (not the terminals) sticking through that I'm worried will be effed.
              I will try to get one rated at 70A and try. Instead of making myself stranded (?) by destroying mine.

Comment

Hmm I see, well it was (according to Kate) replaced with 8d0951253 which seems to be 70A relay. Perhaps a neat "upgrade"?
                Maybe *IF* it was 70Amp. My info says 8D0951253 is a 50 Amp relay.

Comment

This one should do the trick then?

Originally posted by The Glorious Internet
                  Relay

Rated Voltage [V]: 12
                  Rated Current [A]: 70

Original / genuine part numbers: 1)
                  8D0951253

Comment

Been out of town a while and on the trip found out the No 4 fuse was blown (my phone wouldn't charge in the car), I probably shorted the cigarette light thingie when I was fiddling there looking for a reliable earth point.
                    Trip computer, dash clock both came back to life but AC controller still dead :/

Could it still be the relief relay?

Comment

...Trip computer, dash clock both came back to life but AC controller still dead :/ Could it still be the relief relay?
                      Could be. The clock should be constant power so not part of the load reduction/relief relay circuit. The only way to know for sure is to find a known good "213" and swap it into your car.

This older "213" thread:

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=213

and this "213" thread that I started this week (based on your issue):

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=213

Comment

I'll have to get my hands on one, will try the swedish forum and perhaps borrow someones that is within my reach.

Comment

I have been giving this topic a rest for a while since I did not have parts at hand.

This monday me and my better half went on a trip and bought a A6 Avant MY 96 with a fully working AC in it.
                          And the guy I bought it from also had another A6 donor car, so I took most of the relays and thermal fuses from it + the ac control head.

Yesterday I tried the 213 relay from the donor car (which was a known working one) and it did not make any difference in my S2, control unit still dead unfortunately.

On the other hand I have a fully working A6 within reach that I could try swapping parts with, where should I look next?

Cheers!

Comment

I have been giving this topic a rest for a while since I did not have parts at hand.

This monday me and my better half went on a trip and bought a A6 Avant MY 96 with a fully working AC in it.
                            And the guy I bought it from also had another A6 donor car, so I took most of the relays and thermal fuses from it + the ac control head.

Yesterday I tried the 213 relay from the donor car (which was a known working one) and it did not make any difference in my S2, control unit still dead unfortunately.

On the other hand I have a fully working A6 within reach that I could try swapping parts with, where should I look next?

Cheers!
                            I have had the same problem completely dead climate, Problem tracked down to LHS (drivers for me) to the wiring connectors pretty much beside your foot in the well
                            RS 2 580HP

Comment

Cheers!
                              I have had the same problem completely dead climate, Problem tracked down to LHS (drivers for me) to the wiring connectors pretty much beside your foot in the well centre console side
                              RS 2 580HP

Comment

My climate head unit went dead too. Fuses OK, opened up the head unit, looks fine.
                                Other funny thing is the key symbol keeps blinking in the instrument cluster, it is from the immobilizer, but the car does keep running. Could it be the ignition switch?
                                '95 RS2

Comment

Working...
                                X