Wiper playing Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiper playing Up

Sometimes the wipers work fine then if I put on intermittent they just keep going for 4 or 5 wipes then ok for a few mins then go wild again. Also when doing this if i try switching them off then do not got to rest they just stop the minute the they are turned off.

Tehn the next time used they work fine

any ideas

Paul
    S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Mine do the same, so will see if anyone can help
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm
      Sometimes the wipers work fine then if I put on intermittent they just keep going for 4 or 5 wipes then ok for a few mins then go wild again. Also when doing this if i try switching them off then do not got to rest they just stop the minute the they are turned off.

Tehn the next time used they work fine

any ideas

Paul
      Hi Paul and Ant, The reason that wipers do not 'park' is that the motor has a seperate permanent live which senses when the wiper arm is in the correct quadrant. If the supply, contacts on the arm etc are faulty it will keep going or act erratically. I feel it may be as simple as the intermittant wiper relay up the duff.
      I would suggets getting a variable time wiper from the Vagparts website about £13. I mean to get one. www.vagparts.com

No connection to vendor. It may not work but it is an upgrade anyway!

David.

Comment

The variable intermittant wiper relay is a great upgrade. I've got one on my avant and had one on my passat before that.

And where do you think Martyn at Vagparts got the info from?

Ben
        the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
        1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Yep - the wiper relay is most likely 'up the duff' to coin that most technical of phrase. Happened mine - they just die after so many years. I can also say the programmable replacement is a superb little gizmo - takes a few goes to get used to - but its great to control your wipers to the rain of the day...
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

need to get 1 of those wee gizmos I think

Cheers

Paul
            S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

My wipers do the same. I think you can swap the front and rear wiper relays, but I can see myself getting a variable one.
              ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Originally posted by Sidspud
                My wipers do the same. I think you can swap the front and rear wiper relays, but I can see myself getting a variable one.
                I suspect a similar problem. Normally when I "dip" the wiper stalk down, I'd get one wipe. Now I'm getting a variable number depending on whether or not a butterfly flaps its wings in China.

& the location of the wiper relay is?

Cheers guys.

00 Audi B5 S4 MRC550
                08 RRS TDV6 HSE
                03 Kawasaki B2 ZX12R 1287cc

Comment

Working...
                X