Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Ligh Output

Hi,

Remember was speaking to someone a while back about why the light output on the S2 headlamps didnt seem to be very good and have just found a short article on URs4

Why headlights are dimmer

were talking about the voltage to the bulbs being lower than expected.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Greg,

I can say for quite sure! a lot of it is to do with the projectors fitted to the Ellipsoid lights, they are not very efficient!! I fitted xenons to my S2 and whilst they are an improvement, the projectors let the headlamps down.

I'm ditching my S2 projectors and fitting in some later A4 projectors into the S2 housing. I've looked at A3, old shape A4 and New shape A4 projectors. None of them are a direct replacement, but the new shape A4 projectors stand the best chance of fitting the S2 housings, A3 no chance! old shape A4 too much 'working' needed. I was half way through completeing one headlamp conversion when my curent problems started. When I finish this round of repairs, I'll move back to the headlights. I've already temp. fitted the late A4 projectors into the S2 Ellipsoids with my xenon bulbs and the difference was a lot! Cannot wait to finish that conversion off. :-)

But, back to fixing my one for now..
    Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

I had the problem of voltage loss across the headlamps of my old passat. This was mainly down to old age and reduced earthing.

I fitted a br motrosport upgrade loom from a golf (had to be lengthened quite a bit) and the difference was amazing even with 'xenon' H4 bulbs.

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

@martynf, what happened to your car to need all this lot doing to it?

Reckon like you said before a bad earth could be causing the light out on the info display to trigger.
        Greg

Comment

Greg, it was only a top hose that went on the M25, that lead to a new main rad as where the top hose goes on, the rad was broken, then I thought what the hell change everything in the car water related (do it once do it right!), whilst I was waiting for the rad to arrive, I did a few more jobs that needed doing RC gasket, belts, cambelt cover, all mundane stuff...

Thing is since I started back up from this bout of work, there is a rattle from the engine (first rattle was the PS belt rubbing on the cambelt cover), when that one was fixed, I noticied another internal engine rattle I haven't heard before. I cannot quite figure out what it is.... not leaking any fluids, no smoke from exhaust..... I have got someone coming round to my place Wednesday to compare emgine rattles!! I may take further action or not, depends on what we compare and find.

The turbo I mentioned, was one that a good friend of mine said he had 'doing nothing' :-) and did I want it?? so we'll see how that one pans out... one stupid water hose has lead to a lot of work being done (for safetys sake) adn then this rattle...

I'm tempted to put her off the road for some time and make a few mods to her :-), you know how the bug is :-)

Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

yup i know the bug all too well know a simple job gets bigger and bigger and alot more expensive as you go.

Especially when you decided while thats off i may as well upgrade it.
            Greg

Comment

All you need to do is fit a couple of relays (one per side). This will take the load off the switch etc and give the bulbs full voltage. I have used relays on mine and am using 130w/160w H4 bulbs. No probs with melting headlamps, just fairly bright lights.

Have it! I know they are illegal, but what cop is gonna pull me and check the wattage of my bulbs??:nana:
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
              X