Front and Rear Fogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front and Rear Fogs

Having read Martyns post on the US style rear lights it got me thinking about my fog lights.

When I switch on my rear fogs, it automatically puts on the fronts as well. Is this normal? I can put the fronts on without the rears lighting up.

If it is, can it be changed so that they work independantly? I want to be able to flash my rear fogs without flashing my fronts at the same time.
    ex '93 Avant owner

That IS normal - the switches are mechanically interlocked such that turning on the rears lioghts up the fronts.

No doubt you could remove the switches and defeat the interlock mechanism if you really wanted.

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Thanks Paul. I'll attack that some time soon.

I want to be able to hit my rear fogs when some **** dazzles me from behind without attracting the attention of the person in front!
      ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Switching the rears on switches the fronts on, what is not normal is that using the front switch on its own switches nothing on! It should switch the fronts on. The fronts work with the rear switch tho. Any suggestions what is wrong?

Comment

HI Zorro,

Loved you in your last film with catherine

I reckon you should check the electrical plug on the back of the (front fog) switch and check the switch at the same time. I'm not sure how the interlock works exactly, but this should! be simple enough to fix, either the plug or switch. The switch just pulls out of the dash.

My money is on the plug not on the back of the switch properly. This would have to mean that the rear fog switch electrically turns on the front fogs independantly of the front switch for the above to be true... if you know what I mean???

HTH
          Martyn
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Catherine? my last film was B&W! Do you think there is an imposter about?

Problem sorted. By the time I took switch out found nothing and put it back it worked

Thanks for help

Comment

lose plug on back of switch!!

Martyn
              Martyn
              -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

To have independently working front and rear foglamps, you need to replace the rear foglamp switch with a front one, then remove the front cover from your original rear lamp switch and fit it to your new front switch which is now operating the rear lamps. That way, the lamps work independently of each other. The interlink is electrical, unlike the type 85 cars, where the link was mechanical.

Comment

Finally got around to sorting this little annoyance, and what an easy fix it is!

All you have to do is remove the rear fog lamp switch and break off/pull out the terminal at position 4
                  Refit your switch and hey presto - independantly working fog lights!

Now I can flash all the ***** behind me without flashing the ones in front!
                  ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Working...
                  X